Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger redemption

2»

Comments

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    It got a little out of control last night. Not sure if the pics are forum appropriate. Anyone familiar with the rules befor I post the pics?
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like a good time was had by all.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Just post them and we'll let you know if you broke any rules.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    We're still waiting for the bikini pictures. Just an oversight I'm sure.
    ditto...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    As simple as a burger is, try and get a good one.  I never eat a burger unless i cook it myself!  I do mine down low and hot.  The problem is wifey is a well done, and i am a med-rare.  But i have been able to time them very well so far.  I only add a little sea salt, and fresh groud pepper.  The egg does the rest!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Why doesn't all the smoke the meat comes into contact with during a 12 hour smoke give the meat that same funny taste that 5 minutes of exposure does with a burger?  Seems like after 12 hours of smoking the meat should taste horrible.  (I realize it doesn't)
  • ncbbq
    I am certainly no expert but I think the difference with what is being discussed here is the smoke when the egg is closed up. During a low and slow you have a constant air flow and the fire can burn efficiently, just small since there is limited air. When you close the whole thing up the fire is actually dying out and starts to emit partially unburned particles. These particles taste bad. Again I am no expert so if someone has a better theory (or fact) I am open to it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    ncbbq's explanation hits the essence of all that has been mentioned above.  Cooking over an air-starved fire is not good.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I cooked burgers tonight on 500... 5 minutes on each side, pulled... Werent done. Put back on for another 2 minutes and they ended up not tasting well at all

Dang. I suck
  • I cooked burgers tonight on 500... 5 minutes on each side, pulled... Werent done. Put back on for another 2 minutes and they ended up not tasting well at all Dang. I suck
    man, all I can tell you is to go get an internal thermomenter. You cannot cook by time. Once you get that out of your melon and you start to cook by temp you will be fine. Get a thermapen if you can. They are on sale right now for $69. it will change your life on the egg. When you go to a reataurant, they never ask you how long you want your steak cooked. They ask you what temp you want it. There is a reason for that. Stop with the time, go with the temp.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I got a maverick. At what temp do you like your burgers cooked?
  • ncbbq
    I like medium well to done for burgers. I guess 155 - 160 or so. I never check the temp on burgers, I can usually just tell. I go until the juice runs clear. I am afraid of the ecoli and such in ground beef. Now a steak is a different story. I had one down right rare last week. Seared on each side and the middle was red. It was great.
  • I got a maverick. At what temp do you like your burgers cooked?
    OK- A maverick is not really instant read but it's a start. Once you see what it can do, get you a quick read and you'll be hooked

I pull mine at 130 and let them rest. they should be medium/med rare after the rest. If you like them a little more done (no pink) pull them at 140 and let rest
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266

ncbbq said:

We're still waiting for the bikini pictures. Just an oversight I'm sure.

ditto...
    As promised. Here are a couple pics. Didn't get any shots of the ladies that tapped out early but they were much more stunning than the ones pictured.... Here is the first pic at 10:30 pm and the second after several glasses of wine at 1:00 AM.. Notice my egg in the background. Mind you this was a Thursday night. Im the dude i the sandwich. Enjoy.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos