Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does lump absorb humidity?

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
The past week has been extra humid and hot, and my lump seems to take longer than normal to burn clean and clear.

On a side note my thermapens case density must be spot on because the humidity has had no effect on its performance.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hmmmm. Not sure where I read that on the Thermapen but I'm sure it's just a matter of time :))

Not sure on the lump. I'm interested as well. it absorbs all other kinds of stuff so my guess is that it does.....but that's just a guess

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options
    I tried to light my small BGE last night using the electric starter. After one hour, it was only at 110 degree dome temp. I moved to the large BGE and tried to light the lump using a propane torch. After a half hour, still less than 100 degrees. In both instances, i was lighting lump that was in the egg since the last cook, which was last weekend. So, I believe humidity has alot to do with the ease of lighting it.
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    Yeah of course it does. It's mostly made of carbon which is porous. Also absorbs odors and dirt (so works great as a water filtration element). Just take a bunch to the bathroom next time you have a shower/bath and you'll notice that our mirrors won't fog up as much. Not only does it absolve moisture, but it's really effective at it.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Yeah of course it does. It's mostly made of carbon which is porous. Also absorbs odors and dirt (so works great as a water filtration element). Just take a bunch to the bathroom next time you have a shower/bath and you'll notice that our mirrors won't fog up as much. Not only does it absolve moisture, but it's really effective at it.
    Good thing I value my lump for the egg as much as I do because my wife just cleaned the bathroom and I don't think she'd be happy about all that dirty dark charcoal in there. Even if I explained that I was simply trying to dehumidify and deodorize the room... and then you'd have to read my next post, "Why did my lump take so long to light only to taste like s#!t."

:))  just having fun, thanks for the explanation. I never considered charcoal filters.