Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Measurement question

Options
bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Newbie here and not exactly Mr. Fixit.

I'm a bit confused about that table top to shelf top measurement for the large egg. I  have a new egg so I guess it has the spring type hinge. In visualizing this I am trying to understand, how crucial is this measurement? I'm guessing a measurement that is too small (say 13 inches) would place the egg too high in the table and a measurement that is too large would stop the cover from opening. The larger measurement, could be "fixed" by adding paver or brick to raise the egg. As I plan to put a paving stone on top of the bottom shelf and not recessed as some plans show I was going to use 17 inches. Does this sound alright?

Comments

• Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    According to:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/BGE-TP-LARGE.pdf

You need to have a space of 15" measured from the top of the lower shelf to the top of the table.  If you use 17" then the stone needs to be at least 2".  When I created my table, I used 15" for the measurement and used a stone.  I have/had no issues and I think the air gap is about correct around the egg.

My setup:

• grillingunner
    Options
    Air wolf did you make your table exactly from the plans that BGE has on there site? I am thinking of building the 58" table they show for the large egg I am buying. My only concern is they say to have the legs 32" I believe. I have some casters that are 4 1/2", so the finished height of my table should be 36 1/2". When you have your egg open how high is it above the table top. I guess to make this easier I am wondering basically the height from the handle on the egg to the top of the table. I am kind of taller so I don't want to be bending over while tending to the egg. Thanks for you post.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    I modified the plans a bit.... I wanted to have the table more kitchen counter height.  So I adjusted the legs accordingly.  I followed the plans fairly close, but also made my own plans for the size I wanted, and to use the lumber most efficiently. 

Not sure if this helps at all but:

• grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to start on my table tonight.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    16 3/4" is the maximum from table down to shelf or the hinge will hit the table.(without the paver)When you add the paver the hinge will just clear the table @ 16 3/4 "
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SalsaGids
    SalsaGids Posts: 25
    Options
    Have a look at my terrazzo top. I also wanted it kitchen-counter height, so designed in room for the hinges, some of the photos show the hinge area with the lid open and closed.
    I measured the size of the BGE with hinges open, and then added 1 cm around for air/thermal separation.