Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Burnt Ends Advice

Options
cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
While I've done plenty of briskets, I've never separated the point and cooked them more.  Can someone walk me through the process and what the outcome of the burnt ends are like and how to serve them?

I've seen the process described here as late in the cook, cutting off the point and cutting it into cubes to be put back in a foil tin and cooked (uncovered?) some more.  Is that pretty much the accepted technique or are the lots of variation?  Can you lend some details to the burnt end nubie?

Thanks!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I cube them, put in a foil tray uncovered, sprinkle on more rub, throw in a bit of liquid (beer, juice, etc) maybe 3 tablespoons, then rub them around in this. I hit them pretty liberally with whatever rub I used on the brisket.

Put them back on the Egg at the same low temp ~250 or so, and I usually add another wood chunk at this time.  Leave them uncovered, and every 30 min to one hour I stir them so a new side gets exposed to smoke and heat.  I've left them anywhere from 1 hour to 3-4 hours.  

They taste like an explosion of flavor, and they literally melt in your mouth.  Heavy smoke, a huge amount of crust for their size, and lots of flavor from the rub.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Thanks!

So, it sounds like I basically cook the brisket normally, then pull it off and let it rest for 30 min or so, then separate the point and prepare it.  I'm assuming I just foil and wrap the flat in a cooler while putting the burnt ends back on for several hours?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I actually separate it as soon as I take it off the grill.  It's super hot to touch, but you're cutting along fat so it's quick and easy.  Then yes, just foil and wrap and put in a cooler if you aren't eating the flat yet.  Then do the burnt ends.