Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Have Four 8 Pound Pork Butts that need Help

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have 4 of these monsters in my fridge that I prepared last night (Injected, and rubbed).

Im catering a party tomorrow (A friend of mine owns a wine shop and is giving me wine fo my cooking)

He wants them ready by noon tomorrow.

Im trying to figure out if I put them on at 11 at 250 or so will I be able to pull it off.

Im stocking up on Red Bull Vodka Since I dont own a Digi or Stoker. Last time I did my brisket though I built my fire and it ran 225 all night long and didnt budge.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Ha need someone to stay up and drink with you? I need to do an overnight session soon ha
    Boom
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I think that is cutting it close. 8lbs * 2hrs = 16 hrs +/-1hr is how I would estimate it; this is at 250 dome. I also would want them done about an hour or so before party starts. You can FTC them for hours, especially 4 butts. I would put them on at about 5pm. Good luck.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    The 5.5lb butt I did last weekend took me exactly 16 hours to cook. Not sure why it took that long, but I'd def get em on this evening then cooler them till it's time to serve
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    I would give yourself 3-4 extra hours. If it's done early wrap it and stuff it in a cooler.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I reread and see injected, someone chime in if I am off base, but won't injection slow the stall? Injection = more water to burn off, which is what the stall is, water evaporating, right?
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Options

Give yourself plenty of time.  If they cook quick for some reason, you can wrap the butts in foil, towel and throw them in a cooler for up to several hours.  I actually prefer to rest them anyway.

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    More than once I have regretted planning a cook to be done at a specific time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited July 2012
    Options

As you close in on the finish-line try and monitor each butt individually as they will each finish at their own time and it could be hours different.  And with regard to injection and the stall, I have not seen evidence either way with regard to length of stall.  The counter to more liquid to evaporate is that the liquid injection is a better heat conductor than the porous fat tissues.  Here's a great web site with explanation of the stall and the use of the Texas crutch to get through it:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html Enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Daveh1976
    Daveh1976 Posts: 62
    Options
    Last time I did 4 butts (8# each) at once (on my old chargriller) I pout them on a 9:00PM.  I pulled them at 4:00pm at 187 degrees because I had to.  Granted it was on a lesser performing grill and it ran out of charcoal through the night, but I didn't get to 190-195 which is what I like.  Putting that much meat on at once may increase your cook time.  I'd put it on way earlier than you think you have too.  It will hold it's heat for a long time wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler.   Worse case, wrap it in foil and put it in the oven on warm.    Finishing earlier is a much easier problem than finishing late.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Go with 275 dome and if they look like they are still going slow in the morning, bump it to 300 to finish them off quicker. Butts are pretty forgiving (unlike briskets). I've done all my butts at 275 dome because that put them right around 250 at the grate level where I was really monitoring the temp.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go with 275 dome and if they look like they are still going slow in the morning, bump it to 300 to finish them off quicker. Butts are pretty forgiving (unlike briskets). I've done all my butts at 275 dome because that put them right around 250 at the grate level where I was really monitoring the temp.
    I do it the same way. Works like a champ

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Options

Great minds think alike and I guess so do warped, twisted ones. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    Options

I was hoping both you guys would chime in. Griifin I have seen your finished product on your website so I am trying to duplicate it.

I was just hoping the pork on the bottom rack turns out like the ones on the top.

But I think everyone that has commented is one the same page. Im thinking of putting them on at 8 or so and then pulling them off at 11 maybe and wrapping them up and putting them in my cooler.

Im trying to tell my wife we need a YETI.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options

My last one that was around 10lbs took 16.5 hrs at 250 grate level, but each one seems to be a different animal unto itself. Goodluck and can't wait to see the final product.

Heck....if knew where you lived and you could stand my humor, I'd drop in and keep ya company and have a few drinks myself seeing as how the Mrs is still outta town and I ain't got nuthin' doing tonight anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Put it on at 9:30 tonight. Got a Vodka drink I have made up and am watching temp for a few hours and then off to bed for a few hours.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    Dude...sorry I didn't notice that message in the inbox. I'd have come over, but now I need to crash so I can get to the airport first thing in the manana.

Rowlett, Texas