Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen vs. Maverick ET732... Thoughts & Opinions

Options
TaylorCR
TaylorCR Posts: 34
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tell me which one I should buy & why ?

Thermapen is on sale for $69 / Maverick is the same price. 

I plan on buying one today. 

TIA
I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would do thermapen first because you can use it on every cook while maverick is more of a low and slow meat monitor.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    It depends on what type of cooking you do the most.  If you only do low and slow brisket, shoulder, ribs, etc, the mavericks ability to tell you pit temp and meat temp without opening the grill or even going outside is a great feature to have.

If you do more steaks, salmon, chicken, etc, then the thermapen would be nice since it's quick and accurate.

I started with a Maverick 732, then bought a cheaper Thermoworks instant read for $20 on amazon.  I love both and can't see just having one or the other.  I just ordered a Thermapen at the sale you mentioned, and look forward to comparing it to the cheaper thermometer from the same company.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    I use and rely on my Thermapen. My 732 hit the landfill before it's first birthday.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    I purchased a Maverick and is great for monitoring pit temp from inside the house. New model range is 300'. Haven't lost signal yet from around 25 yds away inside house. Nice not having to go outside to check temps. Have used a 1/2 dozen times or so. For the price very nice unit. Use on Chargriller w/side smoker box. Looking to purchase a XL egg soon.
  • TaylorCR
    Options
    I have a cheaper meat thermometer I use on chicken, fish, steaks, pork chops, etc. 

I really havent cooked a brisket yet, mostly because I dont want to babysit it for 11-14 hours... If I had something like the Maverick  that I could monitor it / set a alarm if temp changes then I would defiantly cook more of them.

Right now I mostly cook ribs & turbo butts - for longer cooks.  Plenty of spatch chickens, steaks etc. 

I would like to be able to do longer/ overnight cooks & have that safety net of the maverick.  But I am under the impression the Thermapen is the more quality product.

Little Rock, Arkansas

• Browninggold
    Options
    The new Maverick has better heat resistant probes up from 400 degrees to over 700 degrees. Better range also. Check out the video on the website. http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm
  • bjkdlr
    bjkdlr Posts: 7
    Options
    Where is the pen on sale at? The thermoworks store is still at $89 Thanks
  • TaylorCR
    Options
    Where is the pen on sale at? The thermoworks store is still at $89 Thanks
    Well technically they are factory refurbs/ open box... they are on sale for $69

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale.html

Little Rock, Arkansas

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

used my thermapen on some 3/4" steaks last night and was able to grill them perfect to my liking...I found it hard to get thin steaks right before....would not use anything else....instant readings are nice when the grill is HOT HOT!!!! and my hands are involved...to each his own though.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Browninggold
    Options
    I plan on getting a thermapen eventually though for hot quick cooks as mentioned above. IMO you should have both anyways. I just went with the Maverick first since I found a store with 10$ off.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It depends on what type of cooking you do the most.  If you only do low and slow brisket, shoulder, ribs, etc, the mavericks ability to tell you pit temp and meat temp without opening the grill or even going outside is a great feature to have.

If you do more steaks, salmon, chicken, etc, then the thermapen would be nice since it's quick and accurate.

I started with a Maverick 732, then bought a cheaper Thermoworks instant read for $20 on amazon.  I love both and can't see just having one or the other.  I just ordered a Thermapen at the sale you mentioned, and look forward to comparing it to the cheaper thermometer from the same company.
    this is your answer. They are both great tools and do different things. If you don't cook low and slow, you don't need the maverick. If you do, it's a great tool. I use both every week and they are both great in the kitchen as well. My wife roasted a chicken last night and the maverick was right there with her.And then she spot checked breast and thighs with the Thermapen. It was so juicy and perfect because we used the right tools to make it that way. They both work indoors and out and will make you a better cook.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    My motto: Buy right / Buy once.

Thermapen
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

In my opinion you need both.  The Maverick does a wonderful job in monitoring the grate temp and the internal meat temp on pork butts, turkeys, etc...   It will keep you from opening the lid on long cooks.to check meat temps.

The thermapen is great for quick cooks and checking individual temps of multiple pieces of food.  For example, the chicken thighs I did recently came out wonderful because I was able to quickly use the Thermapen on each piece and pull them individually when they were ready.  I was surprised when pieces that looked done were in fact needing another 10 minutes or so.  The Thermapen helps immensely with that.

Get both - you won't regret it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.