Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp appetizer and a partial indirect trick

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Our 12 y/o son is heading out tomorrow morning for a week of fishing in FL and he wanted seafood on the Egg for his last dinner before the trip.  I made a shrimp scampi style appetizer first. 

I was going to grill something direct after this but wanted to cook these indirect.  To avoid having to mess with swapping out a hot plate setter, I just put a piece of stoneware on the grate and cooked these on top of it.  Not a big deal and nothing original, but I use this "partial indirect" method a good bit.

I put 5-6 peeled and deveined shrimp each in some oven boats.  I put some butter cubes (about 1-1.5 Tbsp), some chopped garlic, black pepper and a Tbsp of white wine in each boat.

I put them on my large Egg at 450f and cooked until they turned pink, about 7-8 minutes.

When they came out I seasoned them with a little salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.

This sauce is so good that you HAVE to serve it with some "sopping bread" so I had some red pepper & cilantro toast to go with it.

This was "powerful good" and a GREAT appetizer.  We'll definitely be doing this for company at some point. 

The Egg is down to 350f now and I have the salmon ready to go on.  Going plank style and seasoned with DP Raging River. 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Looks super simple and very tasty. I'm just jealous bc the mrs is allergic to shellfish!
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Yummy, looks great, nice photos too!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Oh man Chris does that look good!! I can taste it from here. Went to your blog to check it out more, but it wasn't there. So what did you put under the boats? And where can i find some boats like that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    Jason,

Thanks!  I didn't buy those dishes, they were a gift many years ago. 

I searched and what you should google is "au gratin dish 6 oz".  You can get them very cheap at restaurant supply stores. 

I use them all the time on the Egg, they are great for individual sized casseroles, single serve enchiladas, and stuff like that.  

The thing under them on the Egg was just a piece of stoneware turned upside down.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Wozers! Looks simple and good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    World Market carries those dishes. They are great 
  • Titanman
    Titanman Posts: 30
    Looks great. Wish I had some now. :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks for the quick response, Chris. Always love the pictures of the food you cook up. What kind of camera are you using?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    Thanks!

It's a Nikon D-60, their bottom of the line DSLR from several years ago.  Now I think it would be similar to their D3100.

I use a 50mm prime lens using manual focus and manual exposure settings, no flash. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Looks great!  The flow of ideas and recipes here is wonderful!  Thank you (and to all who contribute)

Happy Friday!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Is there smoke flavor in the shrimp?  If not, is there a reason to do this in the egg instead of a regular oven?  It looks so good, I bought a bag of frozen wild caught jumbo shrimp today.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Is there smoke flavor in the shrimp?  If not, is there a reason to do this in the egg instead of a regular oven?  It looks so good, I bought a bag of frozen wild caught jumbo shrimp today.

I look at it - My egg is an oven, grill and stove, and I will cook everything possible on it.  To me it's way more flavorfull and fun!!!!

• Is there smoke flavor in the shrimp?  If not, is there a reason to do this in the egg instead of a regular oven?  It looks so good, I bought a bag of frozen wild caught jumbo shrimp today.
    I cook as much as I can outside to keep from heating the house.  
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Yeah...but it's an oven with more difficult temperature controls than the buttons/dials on an indoor oven, and its out in the elements where it can be raining or in the 90sF this time of year.  I've only used mine so far for steaks, ribs, and roasts.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I cook as much as I can outside to keep from heating the house.  
    This! I cook just about everything I can outside on the BGE. Earlier this week I tried to pan sear breaded pork steaks and make a marsala sauce on the BGE and that was a pain. I'll do that on the stove next time. But something like the scampi's...perfect on  the BGE. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)