Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg repair parts?

smokeystoversmokeystover Posts: 68
edited 7:02PM in EggHead Forum
One of the bolts attaching the handle broke, so I need to replace it. Seems like an odd item, like a bolt without much of a head on it (I should talk :whistle: ).

Naturally, I'll have to remove the band to replace it, so I'll need to replace those larger bolts as well.

Can I get these things at Home Depot?
Can anyone tell me exactly what I should look for
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,858
    it's called a clinch bolt. Your dealer should have one or any GOOD hardware store - but not a big box joint - a ma & pa store will have them!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • The dealer said he doesn't carry any parts like that. Not much of a dealer huh?
    ·
    that's correct! too bad - too sad
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,481
    I would try another dealer or call BGE. If all else fails, you can order them here...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#self-clinching-studs/=cxmj2k
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • Since one of the "features" of the band attaching carriage bolts is the way they bend when you tighten them enough, is there any particular kind I should look for. They appear to be ordinary galvanized steel.
    ·
  • Thanks, Michael. I seem to recall being left back in 4th Grade, so I have some more learning to do!
    :laugh:
    ·
    You don't torque down the clinch bolts holding the handle on...it's the bolts that bring the bands up tight that need to be tightened until bending.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Also, re Grade 5, I just went by the markings on the bolt head. Asked Bruce B to confirm and he didn't know. Pretty standard markings though.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • Found the bolt for the band easy enough, but no luck at local stores for the clinch bolt. I'll try other Egg dealers tomorrow. Thanks for the help, folks.
    ·
    use this site to see if you have a Fastenal store near you - they normally are in out of the way locations as their clientele is more toward industry, but they sell retail. BTW if Fastenal doesn't have it you don't need it!
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex;jsessionid=dDz2TJCNxPqJsTyLhVnqGthNhpSGLTqjchxSFvyNTpr40cH7QGc2!-2075832399!399226309
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    If you can't find it locally,email me through the forum,and I'll mail one to ya ;) I have a few extras here.

DSC_0044-1.jpg
    ·
  • Thanks! Looks like there's one less than 5 miles from my house. I'll make a visit in the morning.
    ·
    thanks, ron!! I'd never heard of them, but it appears I have a store about 10 miles away. Hope I can remember this when I next need an oddball part!! hahaha
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • Thanks, Sparky. Email sent.

No luck with three Egg dealers, two really good hardware stores, Home Depot, and a Fastenal store. I'm starting to think BGE is the only user of those clinch bolts!
    ·
    I'm dumbfounded that Fastenal didn't have them, but I knew HD was a waste of time. Those really are not uncommon bolts!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Fastenal does carry them!
    They call them "self clinching studs":
    http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/products/self-clinching-studs/_/N-gj4ztb&in_dim_search=1
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • The fastenal store near me must be a loser. I brought in my remaining one to show them, and both guys in the store just said they had never seen anything like it.
    ·
    I agree! I swear the guys here would have made you one - they are that helpful! I recall you have 4 Fastenal stores in Cin - maybe a call to another would work since I gave you the part numbers.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • We'll find out tomorrow.
    When I went to the nearest Fastenal store, they just looked at the bolt, said they had never seen anything like it, and they definitely didn't carry it. No interest in even researching it.

After looking at your last note, I called the next closest store, and the guy was happy to help. He promised me he would have some on hand in the morning. What a difference!
    ·
    That's more like it! Glad I kinda egged you on! :laugh:
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Success. Picked up the bolts at the second store this morning. They're actually slightly longer than the ones that came with the Egg, but a couple of washers solved that problem nicely.
    :P
    ·
    Great! All's well that ends well!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Same thing happened to me but on the spring. That's what I get for not using torque wrench! I hope I can find one tomorrow or my plans for dinner Saturday night might have to change.
    ·
  • ChefBubbaChefBubba Posts: 10
    I called bge and they sent me an entire hardware bag, no questions asked and for free. Going to give the extras to my dealer for the next guy.
    ·