Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Mechanic required.

Canadian Egg
Canadian Egg Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Dome is out of alignment and all suggestions so far have not worked. New hinge required?
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    take a look here may help 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • take a look here may help 

been there done that. Thanks tho.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    washers didn't move it ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • not enuf. I think one of the hinge parts is bent. Not a clue how that could happen.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668

The second pic you posted makes it seem the band is not installed as good as it could be. I would start by trying to reassemble the band to get it on correctly first. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Took the bands off and straightened the left side hinge. Seems to have worked but I think the metal is weak now. Time for a new band and hinge I think. Thanks All for the help!!!
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    I've had this problem, thanks to insight from a prior post by "Grandpas Grub" my problem was solved. GG's solution is below, in italics. Here is the modified version of what I did:

- open dome, remove springs.
    - close dome, loosen the 8 nuts securing hinge to bands.
    - align dome to base, tighten the 8 nuts.
    - open dome, reattach springs.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper

From BGE Service (in part)

... The dome needs a little adjustment. It looks like the carriage bolts that tighten the bands down onto the grill are not tight enough, this will cause a little slack in the bands which give the spring assembly a little play. What happens is the springs try to open the dome but they are not strong enough to do it.....they can pull the dome up in the back area. I'm sending the gasket but here is how to adjust the dome

1.) Have someone hold the dome open for you

2.) With a set of locking pliers clamp on the top of the spring and pull the spring up and off the assembly.
    3.) Once both springs are off carefully close the dome
    4.) Loosen the carriage bolt on the dome band and remove the dome
    5.) When the gasket gets to you follow the instructions on how to apply
    6.) Now the important part....when you put the dome back on tighten the carriage bolts until the bend away from the grill. Don't worry you will not break the ceramics.
    7.) Have someone open the dome while you put the springs back on.

What you just did is reset the timing on the spring assembly.....if the spring assembly opens a little it will cause the dome to pull in the back and the only place the dome will actually touch is the front.....this looks just like what your having happen. The dealer should have assembled the bolts tighter than what you have and that is the most common problem that we have. Once you get the gasket you should be good to go.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA