Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on fire bricks

Options
grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried putting fire bricks on the grid and cooking a pizza on a pizza screen on top of the brick? Just wondering because screens and fire bricks are a lot cheaper than a pizza stone rated for the high heat of the egg.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i found a high temp pizza stone 13inch diameter (grillware by outset rated at 1450 degrees ) at a kitchen gaget store for for around 22 bucks works great 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I would think that a fire brick would take longer to preheat due to the extra mass. I say try it,  and tell others what you think. I know some folks here found stones and pans at reasonable prices. Isn't it funny though that you were willing to spend "x" amount on a BGE, and want to skimp on a stone? I'm not trying to call you out because I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't want to purchase a spyder so I built my own (only different). But seriously share your input if you go the screen and brick route.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    I put three fire bricks on the grate, then plate setter over the bricks. Then pizza on parchment paper goes on plate setter. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138674/pizza-on-a-plate-setter#latest
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Options
    If people are really interested in producing best quality pizza, you need the crust to bake on a stone, not a screen. Putting the platesetter above the grid and using it as a stone is an interesting idea.