Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger redemption

Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've mastered my egg, burgers notwithstanding. Please help with advice so tonight's poolside Dinner is not ruined by chemical burgers! Thanks in advance for your tips and advice. I'll post some pics of gorgeous women posing in front of my LBGE as a token of my appreciation.

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Burgers you've already bought, or grind your own?

I buy a nice big chuck roast, grind it through a course plate(1/2") and then run it through a smaller one to bind it. Form into patties....I have a press for that.

As far as cooking....I just salt and pepper & cook them at about 450-500 or so till med rare.

Have you been getting bad tasting burgers?
  • Try the umami burger recipe that's on this forum! It is really great!
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • I followed the instructions shown in the Instructions...

-  650 degrees in the BGE
    -  Cook burger on direct heat for 2 minutes
    -  Flip & cook burger on direct heat for another 2 minutes (at 650)
    -  Flip again & shut all the vents and let the burgers set for 5 minutes on the grill while the temp drops

Burgers have always turned out great for me.
  • I followed the instructions shown in the Instructions...

-  Flip again & shut all the vents and let the burgers set for 5 minutes on the grill while the temp drops

Etxagg, glad this is working out for you but we see more people saying that their burgers taste like soot and almost every single time we trace it back to this technique (as it is written in the BGE cookbook). You should really never shut the vents and let your burgers drip grease into a dying fire. It gives off a very acrid smoke.

I would do as Ale Brewer says and do 450-500 until your desired temp.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rubmyrock

I followed the instructions shown in the Instructions...

Exactly what I've been doing with poor results. Or as my wife calls them, chemical burgers....

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2012

Keep it simple.  Ground chuck.  Get mine usually from a local butcher for convenience.  Minimally press to about a 1/2" thick, doesn't have to be perfectly round.  Those ridges and imperfections get seared and create more surface area for the cheese to melt.

1/4 - 1/3 lb for each patty.  A cast iron skillet and parchment paper works great here.  Salt, pepper, smokin' hot CI griddle.  Couple of minutes a side. American cheese, bacon.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• AleBrewer
    edited July 2012

I followed the instructions shown in the Instructions...

Exactly what I've been doing with poor results. Or as my wife calls them, chemical burgers....
    It's closing the vents all the way to finish that's probably causing the bad taste. I have always been told to leave the top vent wide open on previous smokers. I never completely close my daisy wheel while there is food in the egg. I did once, the first time I cooked a steak....I ate it, but it wasn't very good.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320

Cen-Tex nailed the "chemical" source (reinforced by AleBrewer)- Etxagg, glad this is working out for you but we see more people saying that their burgers taste like soot and almost every single time we trace it back to this technique (as it is written in the BGE cookbook). You should really never shut the vents and let your burgers drip grease into a dying fire. It gives off a very acrid smoke.

This taste comment manifests itself when people do the same thing cooking steaks (or anything else with the above mentioned process).  I would cook without the "shut the vent" step-but just an opinion-and we all know what those are worth:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I've closed the vents on steaks and burgers and haven't ever tasted a bad chemical taste.  But I can see your point.  From here on out I'll leave the daisy wheel slightly cracked.

It might be the quality of your meat?  Not sure.
  • Rubmyrock
    Closing the vents never has affected my steak but I will know if it was causative of the bad burgers here in a couple hours
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49

Keep it simple.  Ground chuck.  Get mine usually from a local butcher for convenience.  Minimally press to about a 1/2" thick, doesn't have to be perfectly round.  Those ridges and imperfections get seared and create more surface area for the cheese to melt.

1/4 - 1/3 lb for each patty.  A cast iron skillet and parchment paper works great here.  Salt, pepper, smokin' hot CI griddle.  Couple of minutes a side. American cheese, bacon.

What's the parchment for? I don't see it in the picture.

My couple of times doing burgers, I cooked them in the low 400's and didn't bother shutting any vents. Turned out great.

• I wouldn't do it on burgers, steaks, or anything else. Fat dripping on a dying fire = no bueno for Centex

It's clearly printed in the BGE cookbook and it's on the DVD I got 8 Years ago with mine so almost every new egger starts off doing it that way. I would say it's the #1 question we see from new eggers other than "Help MY FIRE WENT OUT!!!!!!!!" or other temp control issues.

• Rubmyrock
    Anyone T-Rexed a burger?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah, C~T:
    ribeyes (fattier steaks) will do it. strips less so, and tenderloin even less.

but burgers (if they are decently fatted up) will do it too. 

the soot is pronounced (and bad), because the fire is dying, the fat does not burn well (because there's no oxygen to fully combust it), and the kicker is that the smoke has nowhere to go but to settle on the steak.

i didn't have much experience with steaks and grilling, other than with a gasser, before using the egg.  i didn't notice how bad the steaks tasted using the sear and dwell method, because they were so much better than off the gasser. an improvement is an improvement.

but after a few months of time on the BGE, and getting educated about one steak vs another (say strips vs ribeyes), and i started to wonder what the heck the flavor was. why the ribeyes had that 'flavor' to them, but a tenderloin filet did not

thought about it, and realized the fat was not burning well when shut down, and tried it without doing it that way.  was immediately cleaner.

ever since it's been a recurring them on the forum.  some dude with the same problem, and we offer the same solution.  99 times out of 100 it's a fix

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2012

What's the parchment for? I don't see it in the picture.

My couple of times doing burgers, I cooked them in the low 400's and didn't bother shutting any vents. Turned out great.

I no longer dimple the patties and press them thinner and larger, compensating for the shrink up during the cook.  That way I no longer get the two inch thick monster patties that are too much when bun and condiments are applied.

parchment cut into sqaures keeps the patty intact when pressed with one square on each side.  Grab a patty, peel the top square, just "slap" it on the griddle and peel the second piece of parchment off the top. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• AleBrewer
    I usually only buy ribeyes, usually from the same butcher too. I knew right away on the first one that the funky taste was from closing the vent. I should have known better, but I closed it anyway. I've been cooking on charcoal for about 15yrs now, used to use an old New Braunfels, and more recently a Weber Kettle.....I never closed the top vent on those with food inside.

They really should stop telling people to do it....at least where there is a possibility of fat dripping directly onto the coals.
  • Rubmyrock
    Thanks Stike. That would explain why my steaks haven't been affected. Both times were beef tenderloins and another I cooked a London broil. No more shutting everything down for me and to the guy who made this video I watched. Thanks for nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3kGzDRD3Nc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I've allways done burgers in the 500-600 degree range.  The last couple of times I did turkey burgers, and did them in the 400 range at normal grid height.  They really came out good, picked up more of the hickory flavor that I used.  I'm not sure if the lower temp would work as well with beef burgers, but I am going to try it next time.

I also did the close the vents method on one of my first steak cooks.  Probably the worst steaks I've ever bbq'ed. 

George

George
  • Read my comments in this thread for a "no-fail" technique:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1179279/#Comment_1179279

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Rubmyrock
    Problem solved. Thanks....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Nice Egg location!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • I've allways done burgers in the 500-600 degree range.  The last couple of times I did turkey burgers, and did them in the 400 range at normal grid height.  They really came out good, picked up more of the hickory flavor that I used.  I'm not sure if the lower temp would work as well with beef burgers, but I am going to try it next time.

I also did the close the vents method on one of my first steak cooks.  Probably the worst steaks I've ever bbq'ed. 

George

Hey George- You can certainly cook beef burgers at that temp but if it's extra smoke you are after, it may not make a huge difference (although more time over smoke would allow them to absorb a little more). It was not the temp that caused the Turkey to pick up more smoke. Poultry is much more sensitive (not a great descriptor but stay with me) to smoke than beef. you do a beef burger and a turkey burger side by side over smoke for the exact same time and the Turkey will be smokier every time.

I love doing turkey burgers as well. I love the smoke

• Rubmyrock
    Cooked mine on standard grate direct and over charred them. 500 is too hot for me but I guess it could be my cast iron grate
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    distance to lump is more important than dome temp. if you are too close, you will char

350 dome but with the lump close to the grid is hotter than dome 600 and the lump further away
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rubmyrock
    Who would think burgers would be suck a challenge? Most everything else I've perfected. Great flavor with no chemical taste. Just sent my wife to get some more meat and I'm cooking again now to fix this even though my wife loved the char crust
  • Well heck I was so confident in my method earlier today (650 and shutting it off). Tonight my steaks had that bad taste.

What's the overall consensus on grilling burgers/steaks? 350 and 5 minutes per side like my old propane grill? I'll miss that sear!!
  • Rubmyrock
    I'm excited about no chemical taste!! Flavor profile was awesome! Round two with worchester sauce and emeril's rub. Raised and seared with a 600 degree dome start. Update to follow. Beer great and my sexy wife and her entourage of North Carolina house wives look stunning in scantily laced bikinis. Life is good...
  • Well heck I was so confident in my method earlier today (650 and shutting it off). Tonight my steaks had that bad taste.

What's the overall consensus on grilling burgers/steaks? 350 and 5 minutes per side like my old propane grill? I'll miss that sear!!

You won't have to miss any sear. Do them at 500+. Use an internal thermo to get to your doneness. If you have a cast iron grate, even better. You can also Trex or reverse sear or hot tub. You'll get the best sear and flabor you've ever had. It's all on here and we are glad to help if you want more info.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    We're still waiting for the bikini pictures. Just an oversight I'm sure.