Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, we ate out first....not all of it, of course

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our first chicken was good..not great. We cooked at 300 and average size chicken took a little over 2 hours. It was cooked and was not dry. Next time we may try a higher heat. There was a smokey flavor with our first attempt but the skin was not what I would call crisp..we had just put a dry rub on.
Next attempt will be oil on skin and a higher temp. We'll see.[p]thanks for all the encouragement.

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    MarianneO,[p]Poultry is a weird duck (ahem). It absorbs a LOT of smoke flavor. I wouldn't ever add wood chips of any sort to a poultry cook..it's overwhelming. Your low heat/long cook definitely would optimize smoke flavor, so I'd go a little higher and a little shorter. Generally to get the skin crisp you have to crank it up a little and put the chicky skin down over some heat. I normally don't much care because we rip off the skin anyway and give it to the hounds. That's why I put all my rubs UNDER the skin.[p]Did you do a spatchcock or beer butt or what?[p]mSharque
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mollyshark,
    We used the Spanek..

• Unknown
    Options
    MarianneO,
    When I do a chicken or turkey, I put the temp at 350 dome indirect. I also put some hickory chips, small size for some flavor. Smoking chips do not hurt the taste of the chicken or turkey, and I sure would never throw the skin away, the best part of the bird. [p]Jerry

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    MarianneO,[p]Try some lemon juice well rubbed to crisp the skin.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MarianneO,[p]Remember, the Egg, though awesome, is not the panacea to all cooking issues. There's still the little thing about how to get good, crisp skin while roasting the bird best that you have to deal with :) This has been the issue for years! Cooking a bird in the Egg will not auto-magically solve all of your problems![p]Alton Brown says you need the higher temp roast at some point, and I agree it should be done early on. Take that bird and roast at 400something for 30 minutes. Maybe at 450* for 30 minutes. Rub it and give it some oil, then roast at 450* for a half hour. The oil plus the high heat should get the cooking process started plus crisp up the skin a bit.[p]Then put the partly cooked bird on a cooker at maybe 350* for the rest of the cook to more gently get it to your desired doneness.[p]Use those Dizzy Pig rubs as they're some of the freshest out there![p]Later, and good luck!
    Cornfed

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    MarianneO,
    We did a 4 lb spatchcocked chicken last night. Marinated it in the juice of 2 lemons, a healthy dollop of olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and fresh oregano from the garden.[p]Cooked it for about 1 hour and 20 minutes at 350. It was cooked direct on the main grill (no platesetter, no raised grid). I usually flip it once but this time, I flipped it three times (started skin side up,,,ended with skin side down). It was very good. The skin was thin and crisp. Great flavor![p]Chicken is a great medium for learning and experimenting. Have fun with the next one.[p]Paul

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]You gotta try a small chunk of guava on WooDoggies chicken thigh method. It's fantastic!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    MarianneO, I usually do my whole birds at about 375-390 dome temp. Rubbed with some veggie oil rubbed over the skin, then put on a vertical roasting stand. I like a little pecan wood for smoke, but not too much. I've also been recently spatchcocking (butterflying) the chickens for quicker cooking. They turn out just as well as vertically roasted. See the link below for spatchcocked chicken and many other wonderful recipes.

[ul][li]Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Poppi
    Poppi Posts: 7
    Options
    Essex County, sounds like a wonderful marinade. How long did you let it marinade before cooking?[p]poppi

• yoyo_in_atlanta
    Options
    Mollyshark,[p]Rub under the skin. What a great idea![p]