Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Stone Size

Options
trout1
trout1 Posts: 104
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have an adustable rig.  I have some questions concerning the stone on indirect cooks.  1. What would be the best size to use on the rig at the top of the fire ring and above on the rig, a 13', 14', or even a 16'?  I don't have the 16' at this time.  2.  What do you like to use the oval stone for other than for ribs?  3.  Do most of you cook your pizzas direct or indirect?  I would appreciate any responses on these questions.

I enjoy reading the questions and all the great responses on the forum.   I have learned from you sharing your Egg experiences with everyone.

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I'm assuming you have a large, if so, a 16inch stone supposedly fits on top of the adjustable rig+the extender, so you should have no problem running a 16" at the top of the extender. I have a large, adjustable rig and 13" stone. I cook my pizzas with the rig in, round grid on top, 2 fire brick laid flat on that and the stone on top of all of that, gets it nice and high in the dome and definitely have room for a bigger one.
  • trout1
    Options
    Yes, my BGE is a large.  Sorry, I didn't specify the size.  Thanks for your comment, xraypat23.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Either the 13", 14" or 13"x17" oval can be used on any of the rig bracket settings.  Don't recommend using the 16" stone inside the rig.  A 13 or 14 stone with a 16" drip pan is a better configuration than the 16 stone.  I use the 16 stone on the rig extender for pizza.

The 13", 14" or 13"x17" oval stone can be set on the rig crossbars.  Typically, folks place them at the lower or middle bracket setting with the BGE grid on top the rig.  This is my recommended one grid low and slow set-up.  The benefit of the set up is the stone is up and above the top of the fire ring, so the heat rising out of the fire ring has more open area to escape.  Plus everything (stone, pan, grid, food) is on the rig, so if you want to get at the lump,  just lift the loaded rig out and the egg is empty. 

The 13x17 oval stone provides indirect coverage for:  2 racks bback or st. louis style ribs, 2 spactchcock chickens, 2 pork butts, brisket flat or packer and bread.   Add a second grid if you want to do more food.  I guess you could do an oval pizza on the rig extender too.  The oval stone is long and lengthy, so a good alternative set-up to the more roundish platesetter. 

I'll also use the oval stone to do a fast changeover from direct to indirect with the oval grid on the rig extender:  open egg, slide stone on slide guide at felt line, close egg.

feel free to call me if you need more help.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • trout1
    Options
    I appreciate all the information.  Btw, I am happy with all of my CGS toys that I have.  I just need to do more cooking.