Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Question

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am trying a tri tip for dinner tonight, I rubbed it, it's resting in the fridge, do I do a direct cook around 250-275 or do the indirect method with a high sear at 600-700 for 3 min each side then pull down to 250-275 till internal temp is reached.  I want medium rare.  Suggestions?

Comments

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

I do tri tip indirect at about 325 dome.  I like it on the medium rare side and pull it at about 125 internal.  It's more of a roast than a steak so I don't worry about "searing".  I do add whatever home-made rub gets my attention. The next day I run the leftover through the slicer for thin-sliced cold-cuts or sandwiches.  We get days of meals from one tri-tip.  Tri-tip is a "stand-by" for many of us and once you figure out how you like it you'll have a reliable "company" entree that will never miss!

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • LizzieSamps
    Thanks, pulling the egg down to 325ish now. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Medium rare is great but there's a few ways to get there all of which work. My personal preference us a reverse sear followed by a 15-25 min rest. I've also had tasty tri tip by sear first or no-sear so I can't really knock those approaches. Most importantly, be sure to slice thin across grain to get tender slices.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • LizzieSamps
    Right I was looking at the eggs by the bay, thanks Quinn.  I holding at 425 trying to get it down to 325 is taking forever,  I know that is what you all say, easier to get hotter than cooler.  I should have tried the reverse sear but was afraid of it  :0

Cut across the grain, that is the motto!

• LizzieSamps
    OMG I feel so stupid I got tired of waiting so opened it up and put the plate setter in, and it immediately dropped to 200,  they are on now at 325ish
  • OMG I feel so stupid I got tired of waiting so opened it up and put the plate setter in, and it immediately dropped to 200,  they are on now at 325ish

Not stupid at all. You can let hot air out by opening the dome and closing again when it's choked down. You figured that out all by yourself so kudos to you. Just be very careful if you are coming from higher temps (+500) because you can get one nasty flashback from a choked down fire if you add all that oxygen by throwing the dome open to let the warm air escape. Open the dome SLOWLY if you are choking a hot fire for any reason. You'll only do it once if you forget :). Not a serious danger of injury but it will scare the hell out of you when you hear and see a serious flashback

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok all done, in a food coma, here is a shot after slicing! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Also had some potatoes, onions, asparagus too
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Well it looks like you mastered that pretty quick. Looks awesome!
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Wow very nice cook!  :D How did it taste? 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Look at you using that space!!! Ive never seen that but will use it tomorrow for sure. I've been trying figure my game plan out now I know I can put my potatoes and onions on plate setter under my ribs after I foil them.

XLBGE 
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

I do tri tip indirect at about 325 dome.  I like it on the medium rare side and pull it at about 125 internal.  It's more of a roast than a steak so I don't worry about "searing".  I do add whatever home-made rub gets my attention. The next day I run the leftover through the slicer for thin-sliced cold-cuts or sandwiches.  We get days of meals from one tri-tip.  Tri-tip is a "stand-by" for many of us and once you figure out how you like it you'll have a reliable "company" entree that will never miss!

Agreed.  Tri tip is about the only beef I buy these days.  I hit it heavy with pecan & cherry smoke and then slice it 3/16" thick and vac seal up in 5oz portions and into the freezer.   The costco twin-pak yields many many such packs.  With slices that thin a bark isn't much of a flavor component but the good hit of smoke really comes through in small portions in omelets & atop salads and not much meat is needed to round out a meal. 

• LizzieSamps
    I was thinking It would be so good in a salad, like a black and blue one! We had my parents here too so the family and t through 1 tri tip but the other is in the fridge and will slice and bag tomorrow. Love the suggestion for pre packaging. I will do 4 oz for me and 6 oz for hubby. Thanks!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Looks great!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Lizzie I must have missed this post, but man that looks good. Like I have said before, Im so jealous of everyone that can get Tri Tip. I love it and when I was stationed in CA we cooked it at least one a week. SD butchers just grind it up into burger, or give you the dear in the headlights look when you ask for it! Sucks.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    MikeG said:

Agreed.  Tri tip is about the only beef I buy these days.  I hit it heavy with pecan & cherry smoke and then slice it 3/16" thick and vac seal up in 5oz portions and into the freezer.   The costco twin-pak yields many many such packs.  With slices that thin a bark isn't much of a flavor component but the good hit of smoke really comes through in small portions in omelets & atop salads and not much meat is needed to round out a meal. 

If your Costco only has choice, like mine, I recommend buying the cryovac tri tip. The cryovac is cheaper, but make sure you have freezer space since 6-8 tri tips come in a cryovac.
  • I do tri tip indirect at about 325 dome.  I like it on the medium rare side and pull it at about 125 internal.  It's more of a roast than a steak so I don't worry about "searing".  I do add whatever home-made rub gets my attention. The next day I run the leftover through the slicer for thin-sliced cold-cuts or sandwiches.  We get days of meals from one tri-tip.  Tri-tip is a "stand-by" for many of us and once you figure out how you like it you'll have a reliable "company" entree that will never miss!

If your Costco only has choice, like mine, I recommend buying the cryovac tri tip. The cryovac is cheaper, but make sure you have freezer space since 6-8 tri tips come in a cryovac.  Man rub it in!

:((