Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home-brewed accessories

Options
hoffmand
hoffmand Posts: 105
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here are some accessories I've made for my large egg.  Charcoal grate started out as a hi-que style but i wanted smaller spacing so fewer pieces would fall through.  My friend who TIG'd them for me set the spacing too wide so i added another set of bars which should accomplish the same thing. 

The spider is obviously a blatent copy but i wanted to make sure it would fit my groupon grillgrates.  Two panels in the spider, three for the main grate.  Just trimmed the corners on my bandsaw.

Grate lifter is a $4 deep dish pizza lifter from a local restaurant supply with an o-ring to act as a spring.

I bent up a wiggle rod, brisket "doneness poker", and some kebab skewers from 304SS rod.

Now to get back to more cooking and less metal bending....

Cedar Park, TX

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    You've got me beat.  I have a wire coat hanger bent to be a wiggle rod (after my fiance tried to buy a wiggle rod and was told the guy stopped making them).  Also have a broken ash tool I use to stir charcoal and poke through the grate to make sure there aren't clogs.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    Forgot one more.  Extended rack using a generic 16" grid and four 3/8x5" stainless bolts, fender washers, and hex nuts.  Carriage bolts might have looked cleaner but i couldn't find the right ones locally.

Cedar Park, TX