Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Users - Lump Half Full - Indirect Other Half

Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,

I bbq pretty much 7 days a week, for 2 adults and 4 kids, I was wondering do any of you half fill the XL, in other words only half of the grate in the firebox has lump on it and the other half is empty, so there would be 2 zones, I was thinking I could maybe do veggies on the zone with no lump and the meat on the other, does this make sense, so it would be kind of like having the angle brackets from CGS.  I understand it wouldn't work for low and slows, or pizzas and so on.

Second question any of you xl users that bbq 7 days a week how much lump roughly do you go through, I know it will be dependant on what your cooking and for how long, but just a rough estimate, a dollar value would be helpful too.

Cheers.

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Hey Stoater, I have been wondering the same thing. I almost order the separaters from the ceramic grill store... But decided to wait to see what I could go with the new egg first.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I'm planning on making a trip to Tom's shop tomorrow to buy the brackets as well as the rig/woo combo.

I think there are many advantages to being able to do zone cooking. I always did it on my Weber, so why not on the egg.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    People do this. Check out BBQ pit boys. It's called 2 stage fire I think. Also works for searing and then roasting in charcoal and gas grills. I used it on my gasser (diff I know but same concept) wide open on one side sear and then move it over to finish off.

Short answer, yes it works. Yes you can.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The brackets would more than likely be easier and more efficient

XLBGE 
  • Stoater

I'm planning on making a trip to Tom's shop tomorrow to buy the brackets as well as the rig/woo combo. I think there are many advantages to being able to do zone cooking. I always did it on my Weber, so why not on the egg.
    I am leaning towards zone cooking too, I imagine it would increase the airflow as a portion of the fire grate would be empty, is anyone using the angle brackets that could chime in.  Let me know how it goes if you do decide to purchase them, they are on my list as well as the adjustable rig and spider.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2012
    I frequently build the fire in the back half of the egg and leave front half w/o coals if I'm making something that I want direct for a little while and then to finish indirect, or I am cooking two items where one is indirect and the other direct.  I don't use a metal divider, I just use the cleaning tool to push the lump into one half of the egg. 

Two nights ago I made boneless chicken breasts marinated in a citrus sauce.  I did them raised direct for about 3/4ths of the cook and moved them to the front and put pineapple slices over the fire.  By the time the pineapple was done, the chicken was ready too.  Everything came off the grill at the same time with nice grill marks, but no burning.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I "top it off" before every cook or every other cook at most.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    You shouldn't have any problems doing a 2 zone cook just don't get carried away with the lump.

Anytime I'm cooking ribs or chicken direct..I'll use no more 1/4th of the amount of lump normally required to fill to the top of the fire ring...this excludes steaks of course.

I grill an average of 4 times a week...go thru around 18lb of Royal lump every two weeks....GL
  • Stoater

You shouldn't have any problems doing a 2 zone cook just don't get carried away with the lump.

Anytime I'm cooking ribs or chicken direct..I'll use no more 1/4th of the amount of lump normally required to fill to the top of the fire ring...this excludes steaks of course.

I grill an average of 4 times a week...go thru around 18lb of Royal lump every two weeks....GL
    Thats more like it, thanks for all the comments guys, so Sgt I take it you zone cook too.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    I use two firebricks on my XL to create direct/indirect zones.  The bricks cost me about $4.00 total.  Just a thought.
    XL BGE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Doc Eggerton does this all the time. Search for some threads of his. He does veggie cooks on the indircect portion.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Stoater
    I use two firebricks on my XL to create direct/indirect zones.  The bricks cost me about $4.00 total.  Just a thought.
    Should have thought of that!  Cheers.