Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to get crispy cracklins reliably

geezerfangeezerfan Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Pork
Hi all. I have been lurking for as long as I have had an EGG , about 7 years, and this is my first post.

I love Chinese crispy skin roast pork and sometimes I feel ambitious enough to do it with a piece of side pork (belly) but even though I use all the tricks that I have been successful with in a regular gas oven, I cannot get the same results consistently with the EGG.

Any one got any words of wisdom? Cheers.
·

Comments

• cut the skin and rub lard into the cuts,  start the egg off hot and let it drop down to temp.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    edited July 2012
    I did some belly bacon last year and cut the rind off and into 1" pieces.  Dried in frig overnight and then placed some peanut oil in wok at 375 and tossed a few pieces in at a time.  Removed to paper towel when got crispy and sprinkled with my favorite rub.  Great cocktail food and they stayed crispy wrapped in paper towels for about 3 days in frig.  Punching holes in the rind makes sense to me.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1101545&catid=1

This one is a proven winner on BGE:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&func=detail&id=1354
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    and the cracklins maybe need to be off the meat.  sounds like the OP was leaving them on?

after i make bacon or some such thang, i usually roll the belly skin tightly, slice off as thin as possible, and into the oven or BGE at 250 for easily 4 hours, often more.  if in the electric oven, it will porkify the house. i recommend the BGE.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Looks like some artery cloggers there!!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • Ranger908Ranger908 Posts: 44

Just release the Krackin and everything will be good.

krakin.jpg 163.1K
    ·
  • geezerfangeezerfan Posts: 2
    Thanks all for the wonderful links and advice.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    I go to the mexican meat market they make it perfect.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    I've heard that cornstarch helps as well
    ·