Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reusing lump after Chicken Cook?

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last week we did a spatchcock chicken (Came out good).  Towards the end of the cook the grease/juice fell on the lump.  After I removed the chicken the grease flares up on he lump - Almost a flashback but I shut the dome fast enough and shut down the egg.

My question is since I shutdown the egg and all that grease/etc is on the leftover lump (Over half a firebox) will have a problem with a higher cook temp/flare ups on my next cook.  Planning a lower temp cook of pork butt next.  Or should I toss this lump?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I usually do new lump for long cooks, but I don't see an issue with it. My thinking is you will be allowing the lump to burn for 45 mins, or until smoke goes clear. Once smoke is clear fat will have burned off.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

+1 With BYS1981, especially given you will be adding additional lump.  Make sure your lower grate is clear and you empty the ash pit for the low&slow-air flow is what its all about.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    ah good point.  Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I would reuse the lump. Shouldn't be a problem. Light your lump as you normally would, close the dome and wait for any smoke or nasty smell to subside as the grease burns off. Mighty be smokier than normal at first, but once it starts running clean and smells fine, you will be good to go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I was worried fire department was going to come yesterday. This is me cleaning platesetter after chicken thighs, or sending smoking signals haha.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    What the aboove posters said is so true. When I wokked for the first time the food went everywhere :) some into and onto the coals. Fired it up next time and let the egg burn it all off.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i did ABT's and pig shots over the weekend direct cook tons of bacon fat on my lump . i relit it monday night for a high cook 700 for a steak it smoked like crazy till it burned off the grease from the bacon but other than that no problems the old lump went up to temp 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I was worried fire department was going to come yesterday. This is me cleaning platesetter after chicken thighs, or sending smoking signals haha.

That looks like me every time I fire it up..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.