Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question about cleaning

Options
ETBee
ETBee Posts: 46
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello!  I'm new to the forum and new to Egg ownership too.  I just acquired a large Egg via Craigslist and I am looking forward to some awesome grilling.  But the Egg I bought is really dirty and grimy.  I'd like to clean it up a bit before using it.  I know not to use detergents or solvents, but is it OK to use plain water and a scrub brush on the inside ceramic surfaces?  Am I wasting my time cleaning something that will never be clean anyway?

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    Options
    First of all Welcome to the dark-side....

If it is dirty with grease/black soot, load it up with a lot of lump (to the fire ring) open bottom vent, take the cap off and leave it off, and let her rip until it burns out. You will have nice white ceramic when you are done. Also put your daisy wheel and any other ceramic accessories in there to clean them.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    you can let it run at 500-600 or so too, without fully getting rip-roaring.  that will guard against toasting the gasket

outside can be washed with water and a little mild detergent
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    if you do the clean burn, be prepared to lose your gasket, or even have the egg stick shut. It's not the end of the world, but it is a common practice. I'd never take water or soap to the inside of the egg, just a clean burn.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Fill'er up wtih the lump and burn it clean.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    @Stike

You said it was safe for the ceramic to get wet though right? If we wanted to clean the inside with water and a soft brush it is ok correct?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    of course it is safe.  rain.....

you just don't want to soak it though,  there's nothing that cleans like a decent fire.  you don't even need it down to 'white', just want to burn off excess junk, if there is any.

if you truly soaked it internally, it's going to absorb some water, and take a while to drive that off (by boiling it away) next time you cook on it.  and since water boils at 212, your going to see the egg stay stubbornly low for a long time til the water is driven off.  lots of rain, or unused eggs, will always have a hard time jumping to high temps right away.

if i were the guy with the new/used eg, i'd light a fire, futz with controls, and play around, then just set the daisy on, mostly open, and let her sit there at 500-600 until the horrible smoke stops.  if the horrible smoke stops, then it isn't cleaning it, and you might as well stop.

there is no need to let her rip wide open on a full load of lump. 

...and i'd tighten the upper dome hinge-strap bolt (at rear) until it bends (or just tighten it if already bent).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ETBee
    ETBee Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I'll fire it up to around 500 or so and let it burn off.  That should give me some experience with temperature control too.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Before you fire it up, get a big ball of heavy duty aluminum foil and scrub the loose bits off of the inside.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks