Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL won't shut all the way - Help please

Iceman5705Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

All,

I have an XL BGE.  Last night was doing a high temp sear and the back left side wouldh't shut all the.  I couldn't see where anything was preventing it from shutting, anyone had this happen?

Thanks,

Ice

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    Left side of what?  The damper?

·
  • Iceman5705Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Back left side of the dome.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Mine does it sometimes when the hinges get hot.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,148
    If nothing is in the way, the bands must be out-a-whack. may have moved on the dome or base. Suggest you re-allign. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Yep- This happened to me one time in 8 years, Did a pizza cook and the bands expanded and the dome moved a little and would not shut properly. I got everything adjusted and tightened back up the next day and have never had an issue since.

·
  • Iceman5705Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Took everything apart on the dome realigned band and it still wouldn't open.  Ended up being one of the hinge bolts had tightened itself so much the hinge wouldn't even budge.  Loosened slightly and all was good with the world.  Check your hinges!
    ·