Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

for those of you with multiple eggs...

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been humming and hawing about a second egg, a small to go along with our large. I was thinking about a mini but think a small will be better for us.Mama is ok with the idea. Now I am second guessing my self. Should I pull the trigger. There is just two of us and we don't entertain a ton. We would take the small camping because it is easier to carry around. How many of you actually use both eggs at the same time, or is it more just a luxury for just two people. What was the deciding factor for you all.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

It's just my wife and I and we have 4 eggs. L, M, S, and mini. Just recently picked up the small, figured it would be great for camping and the medium and mini deals were too good to pass up. We use 2 mostly when we are doing cooks that require 2 different cooking temps. I have the medium setup for Wok cooking too. We've had 3 going during parties - the mini is a dip making machine.

Good luck with your decision and happy eggin'

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Pretty sure we camped next to HIC at eggtoberfest last year and we were both cooking on our minis. Its nice to have 2 different temps to use. I have a small and mini out front and 2 larges out back. I am gonna sell a large and pick up an XL demo and put a large and a mini out front and the XL and small out back. I use multiple eggs once or twice a week but we have 10 plus people over often. I love my mine but think the small is a better 2nd egg than the mini.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I love my Small and Large combo!! Comes in handy during steak night and being able to slow cook ribs on the large and grill chicken and sausage on the small is a huge plus. We have a 3.5 person home.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    When I first looked into a smaller Egg, I wanted something big enough to fit a whole chicken (spatch or vertical) or a small pork shoulder.  The Small fit the bill.  Now I have a Mini as well and it really excels at high heat cooks, grilling, and those times when I really need to get a cooker up to temp fast. 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I am happy with my XL, and larges. Last week we had friends over and I used the XL at high temps to sear the filet Mignon, while I had baby redskins on the large at a lower temp roasting. It is really nice to be able to use them for different temp cooks at the same time. Also, how cool does it look to have multiple eggs out there? You know you want it, and the wife says ok, run to the store and get er done!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I really like our two XLs.  It's just the wife and me but I use one every night and both at least 3 times per week.  I use our two eggs mostly for different temps.  However, this weekend we are having a party for around 40 people - 3 Boston Buttes for 20 to 24 hours, ABTs, burgers and brats.  The guests are bringing the side dishes.  I could do it all with one XL but it requires a lot of work and timing to pull it off.  Two eggs give me a lot more flexibility, whether it is just the 2 of us or a huge party.  Having 2 eggs makes my life easier.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Think of a mini/small ad that extra "side burner" on a grill, fast last minute side dish, using a wok is really easy on it too. I'm probably going to pick up a second mini soon.
    Used it along side my large last night (while another large was baking bread)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I too have a Large/Small set.  I live alone, and rarely entertain; I just felt kind've foolish heating up the Large all the time to cook one or two brats.
    Had I done the math and figured out how much lump I'd have to wastefully burn in the Large to finally pay for the Small, maybe I'd still have just one.  But, I retired my mortgage last year and can afford to be a bit foolish... 
    <:-P

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    We have a large/mini combo for just two of us. We got the mini just eight months after the large. It sits outside our back door, making weeknight dinners a snap (we can monitor it without leaving the house). I would say we use the mini at least three times for every time we use the large. We entertain quite a bit, and I do a low and slow probably three times a month, so I wouldn't give up either one.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    XL/Mini Combo.  Family of four.  Had the XL for about 6 yrs now and added the Mini a couple of months ago.  I use both about 50% of the time and use the Mini more alone than I used to use the XL.  Love having to sizes for all the reasons listed above.  I aspire to be like @Hic someday.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

SS,

I have an XL, four larges, a medium, a small and a mini. All but two of the larges and the mini are in the garage and don't get used right now. For two people the mini is the bomb. I have five people in the house on a regular basis but if it's only three for dinner I'll use the mini.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    That's 8 eggs by my count? You may have some issues.
    XL BGE
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    edited July 2012
    That's it, I'm adding an XL to my 3 Larges :) But I have to agree, I'm mostly using 2 Larges and a mini when I do multi egg cooks. One large for bread usually
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    i'm having egg envy right now...just 1 lg-new 3 mos ago. I can see right now a baby is on the way....would ya'll like to throw me a shower and buy me eggcessories?? LOL!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I use an XL and a Large almost every night.  Big veggie cooks on the half (one side) filled XL and meat on the Large.  I find it very easy and convienient to have two.  Also, I would rather have more cook area than I need, than less.  You don't use any more lump.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gee
    gee Posts: 71

I've got the Laarge/Small combo. perfect for two people. Meat on the small sides on the large.

The small is also great for tailgating.

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • smokesniffer
    edited July 2012
    @LS holy toledo have you ever had all eight going at once. :) that would be some feast, and it would keep a person busy with grilling. I stand in awe,,,,,, again.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

SS,

I have an XL, four larges, a medium, a small and a mini. All but two of the larges and the mini are in the garage and don't get used right now. For two people the mini is the bomb. I have five people in the house on a regular basis but if it's only three for dinner I'll use the mini.

had to take off my socks to do the counting....sounds like one of those larges stays pregnant alot....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    it is "little steven" with all the eggs - not me.....made me think they ran an BGE farm...."her an egg - there an egg - everywhere an egg egg....."  i'm just envious as you can tell.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• smokesniffer
    edited July 2012
    Hey anyone care to share a bread recipe, or do you just do a regular bread recipe?? What temps and for how long. That would be sweet to have fresh bread in the morning. Who has an auto start for their egg, LOL
    Large, small, and a mini