Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swing rack?

Comments

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited July 2012
    Sgt93, is that an XL BGE?

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Sgt93, is that an XL BGE?

Yes Sir. 24" main grate and 18" upper grate. Lots of room. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I'm glad I don't have the "alfa" version that tips.  I love steak fries with my burgers and steaks.  My wife cuts the fries and marinates them in something or other.  I don't parboil and they take a bit of time.  I can start them, swing them aside and start the meat when they're almost done. Swing, filp as necessary and remove one or the other as they finish.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    So fellas,

Tell me why this swing rack is better than an XL Rig/Woo Combo from Ceramic Grill Store.

I've had my eye on the CGS product for quite some time, and plan on buying something this week.

Interested in hearing your replies.
    I am curious of this too. Does anybody have the Swing Rack and the Adjustable Rig? One of you big spenders out there does, I know it! How do they compare and which do you prefer?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Baysidebob

I am curious of this too. Does anybody have the Swing Rack and the Adjustable Rig? One of you big spenders out there does, I know it! How do they compare and which do you prefer?

I have both.  Got the adjustable rig first as well as the spyder/stone for indirect.  I use the spyder/stone with the swing rack for indirect.  I've been using the swing rack more frequently because it's convenient and new to me.  I won't give up the convenience of the swing rack and I won't give up the ability to raise the food on the adjustable rig.  It's like asking a parent with two kids (assuming they're both under 14 and you still like them) which one you'd give up.  They do different things and don't really "compete".
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Thanks for the insight!

Now I want both 
    :(
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • (assuming they're both under 14 and you still like them)

=))

so true (mine are 13 and 17). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Daveh1976
    Daveh1976 Posts: 62
    Just got my Egg last week.  Already ran into having a space issue. (Ribs, Bacon Explosion, Bacon Wrapped Tate Tots and Mac and cheeses all at once).  Put my order in tonight.  Can't wait to get it but by the look of this thread I'm going to have to.
    :))
  • Sgt93
    Just got my Egg last week.  Already ran into having a space issue. (Ribs, Bacon Explosion, Bacon Wrapped Tate Tots and Mac and cheeses all at once).  Put my order in tonight.  Can't wait to get it but by the look of this thread I'm going to have to.
    :)) congrats. 
  • Sgt93
    4,300 views on this thread as of this post. WOW =D>
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ya, saw that , that is bonkers!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    I'm beyond amazed!!!! Is this like a record??? Let's keep it goin!!!

As always my deepest thanks for all the posts and orders!!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • CGW1
    It's not viral yet!! Is that possible via posting??
  • Baysidebob
    It's a "sleeper" product that has been waiting to be let out.  Tomorrow I'll be doing calamari on it.  Since the squid only takes a few minutes I'll be doing fingerling potatos to allow libation time. That upper grate has hidden advantages!  Pics and recipe to follow if it works out.  I was playing around with my adjustable rig and found I may be able to use both carbon-steel grids on that rig.  Hmmmm.......experiments to follow.
  • CGW1
    @bayside. Be sure to keep us posted. Sounds interesting.
  • Sgt93
    I cooked some burger on the top grate last night, just to do it. Came out "grate" :))
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Thetrim, The 22 is for the XL Grill Dome and we also offer a 21.5" for the weber kettle
    Franco, so for my XL BGE, I need the 24" and 18"?  Correct.  Many thanks.  Looks like your product is getting about 1,000+ thumbs up.  I look forward to trying it out. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CGW1
    @thetrim, correct when ordering use the pull down arrow and you will see the options, from there choose the 24".

I'm really amazed by this thread and by all the orders placed.

@sgt93, post those burger pics when you can....if you took any??
  • Sgt93

Raised direct heat. Moist and delicious (Phone pic)image

• Raised direct heat. Moist and delicious (Phone pic)image

How do you get the grid raised that far in direct mode?

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    My guess is that he is using the top rack only.  If using the stand length shaft. it would put the grate approximately 3+ inches above the gasket
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited July 2012

Franco .......

Where are my grates ????

:(( :(( :(

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CGW1
    =))

Patience!!!
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I too have the racks with the post out at the edge and I like it that way. More unobstructed space on the lower rack. Tipping? That has never been an issue, the typical use is big chunks of whatever on the bottom rack and the lighter stuff (vegs, poppers, etc.) on top which is very stable. Even if for some reason you reverse that and have the heavies topside you will have ample warning that it is getting a little loosey-goosey on you and so you just don't swing it out any further. Also you won't want to swing it all the way out very often because if you do the food on the top rack will now be dripping hot juice on that fancy table top that you have! It is a great, heavy piece of gear and I would argue against welding on additional weight to counteract the largely nonexistent tipping problem.
    As far as cost goes, I have no idea what I paid for it, I'm just glad that I have it.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    +1 with Gezr's comments about the tip issue and you can use the full-range of the longer stock piece w/o hitting the platesetter.  No need to change pieces.  But as noted above-we are not CGW and Franco will take it under consideration. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sgt93
    My guess is that he is using the top rack only.  If using the stand length shaft. it would put the grate approximately 3+ inches above the gasket
    Yes, I just used the top rack only for this cook. 
  • Sgt93
    You can still use an XL pizza stone with the top grate connected. Loss of space may be one little ABT, but it sure isn't much :))  I love this grate and I am sure you all will as well.  How long is the wait now everyone? >:)  think I am going to use mine again tonight before leaving on vacation. :)  
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    CGW1,    I would love to have a swing rack but don't have the LBGE, do you think you may make a swing rack for the MBGE?     One can wish!  :-)
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • CGW1
    @sgt93- your such a tease!!!

@va in ga- anythings possible, maybe we should take a poll and see how many medium eggers would want one??
  • Sgt93
    @sgt93- your such a tease!!! @va in ga- anythings possible, maybe we should take a poll and see how many medium eggers would want one??
    Since there really is only one accessory for the mini and very few for the small, you may want to tap into that market as well Franco. A mini-rack for a few rows of ABT's, or two pizzas, a plate setter like device etc would be cool.