Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Turbo ribs, and Stl Louis style ribs at that, help needed.

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Today I wanted to do some ribs low and slow, but I ran out of time.  I decided to do them turbo off a recipe from Dr. BBQ (recipe here: http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/championship-ribs/), and I really liked the rub + just a store bought sauce.  I didn't have time to make a sauce, and I haven't found a "winner", so I used Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar.  The combination was good, it was a sweet heat that sort of creep up. 

Let me preface this by saying the ribs passed the toothpick test, but because my egg is a medium I didn't not do a bend testI cooked the ribs for approx 2.5hours at 325, and the last ten minutes I sauced.  The ribs weren't "fall off the bone" which while it isn't how competition ribs are meant to be, it is how my wife likes them.  I am looking for help to achieve the "fall off the bone doneness", what do I need to do differently to get that?  Longer cook?  Any input is appreciated.

Also here are the only pictures I got, ribs standing up ready to cook in the rib rack, in a medium sized egg.  The other picture is the final product next to a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.

I was granted the chance to continue doing ribs, lol last time I did ribs I burnt them and my wife threatened to cook ribs from now on in the oven.. GASP.  Overall, I was impressed with the turbo method and as long as "fall of the bone" is achievable in turbo time I will be doing ribs this method from now on.  Give it a try ladies and gentlemen. 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Well, he is a doctor

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• schweikher
    schweikher Posts: 12
    Options

After you smoke them for a couple hours, I would wrap them in aluminum foil.  Place the meat side down and put 1 - 3 oz of apple juice/cider or something equivalent.  Let them cook for at least an hour.  Unfoil, apply your bbq sauce and let them cook for another 15-30 minutes.  This should give you a much more tender rib and it will be closer to fall off the bone.  The longer you leave them in the foil, the more tender the rib meat.

• BYS1981
    Options
    Thanks for tips guys.. my wife wants me to test half rack at a time lol.. i will revisit this tgread soon.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The sauced pic shows a decent amount of bone ends. The amount the meat draws back is often a good indicator of how well done the ribs are. Myself, I would have expected a little more bone exposure.

Which leads me to this. Well done ribs are not "fall off the bone," but the meat is very easy to bite thru. If you and your wife were having to bite and pull, and there was a good bit of meat still attached to the bone, that means the ribs were just not cooked long enough.

I read that Dr. BBQ's recipe calls for cooking in a sealed foil pan, essentially, what schweikher recommends above. That is one thing that insures very tender meats. Did you do that? If so, I'm surprised that your wife was not happy. Foiling almost guarantees very tender meat, but at the expense of final crispness.

It seems to me that ribs cooked flat tend to be somewhat better than ribs cooked in a rack. I suppose it is a more even heat on all parts. So, I have 2 mediums. I rarely need to do more than 3 racks at a time, and can lay them all flat. Maybe the real solution is not turbo cooking, but just another Egg!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Here is the 2 hour turbo method I use.  Have not heard a single complaint about tenderness yet then are usually just single bite through tender.  350 dome, indirect, drip pan with half water / half apple juice to keep it from burning.  I like to use peach or cherry wood. 

Remove membrane from your ribs.  Slather in mustard, add your favorite rub, put them back in the frig while your fire settles. 

Once your fire is settled at 350, ribs go on for 1 hour bone side down.  Spray the ribs at 30 min mark with apple juice.  After one hour, cook bone side up for 1 hour.  Spray with apple juice at 30 min mark.  After two hours check with bend test.

Sauce and enjoy.  I have only had one rack of really meaty baby backs that I cooked an extra 20 mins bone side down to get the tenderness I wanted. Attached are some of the results from this method.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dave I do your way. See no reason to go back to slow.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Dave, you don't use one of those rib racks?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You don't need a rack unless you have more ribs than will fit on the grate. I prefer not to use the v rack for ribs unless I need to.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can use ugly old coffee mugs or coat hangers or whatever works and isn't terrible tasting and is non-flammable to hold the ribs vertical....hillbilly BBQ-style
    You can use ugly old coffee mugs or coat hangers or whatever works and isn't terrible tasting and is non-flammable to hold the ribs vertical....hillbilly BBQ-style
    even wood skewers broken into 3-4" lengths work wonders when you need a little extra room
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I thought I needed one of those rib racks when I first bought my egg.  I have used it once maybe twice.  It is now somewhere in the back of the cabinet.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I thought I needed one of those rib racks when I first bought my egg.  I have used it once maybe twice.  It is now somewhere in the back of the cabinet.

I use mine all the time for doing roasts, briskets and butts. It's a perfect setup image
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    If I need extra room, I add my extended grid.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I was forced to make an attempt at this today...We got home from the store after 1pm, hadn't had lunch, and hadn't done any prep.  I ate, made the wet and dry rubs, got the egg ready, and finally got the ribs on the egg at 3:50pm.  It was nearly 100F on the patio, and the egg was acting funny.  When I put the ribs on, the dome was reading 250F but the grate probe said 419F.  I don't think I've ever seen them that far apart.  Half an hour later, the dome was at 330F, grid at 264F.

At 4:55 (just over an hour of cook time in the V rack), I moved them to a foil baking pan with some sparkling apple cider, foiled it, and found I couldn't close the dome...so then had to remove the grid and put the pan [in]directly on the plate setter (used some folded up foil as feet). 

After an hour of that, I sauced them, put them back in the rib rack, and after about 20min, moved them back to the foil pan (dumped out the liquid, covered it, and put in a cold oven until we were ready to eat.

Everyone said they were great.  I wasn't impressed.  IMO, they were a little tough and a little dry.  They pulled off the bones easily enough, but I think part of the problem was the way these ribs were cut.  It's my second time getting the St. Luis cut spares from Costco.  First time was the Farmsomething brand.  These were Ssomething (Swift Premium, Smithfiled, I can't remember).  These ribs, most of the bones were very short, and there was an awful lot of cartilage perpendicular to the rib bones.  I don't remember the last ones having any of this.

I'm pretty sure I overcooked them by at least 15F, but the hour in the juice boat kept them from being as dry as they might have been.

Next time, I'll definitely go with the Farmsomething brand...and go a little lower/slower.  I didn't like the crazy pace of trying to get ribs cooked in 2-3 hours.

And when the meat probe left out on the egg table reads 100F, it's not egg cooking weather.  I had to shower (cold) between bringing the ribs in and eating dinner.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Here is the 2 hour turbo method I use.  Have not heard a single complaint about tenderness yet then are usually just single bite through tender.  350 dome, indirect, drip pan with half water / half apple juice to keep it from burning.  I like to use peach or cherry wood. 

Remove membrane from your ribs.  Slather in mustard, add your favorite rub, put them back in the frig while your fire settles. 

Once your fire is settled at 350, ribs go on for 1 hour bone side down.  Spray the ribs at 30 min mark with apple juice.  After one hour, cook bone side up for 1 hour.  Spray with apple juice at 30 min mark.  After two hours check with bend test.

Sauce and enjoy.  I have only had one rack of really meaty baby backs that I cooked an extra 20 mins bone side down to get the tenderness I wanted. Attached are some of the results from this method.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Sweet ribs. I love seeing how everyone does it. So much fun cooking on the Egg.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Whoops....hit the wrong button. Nothing to see here....move along please
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Farmland ? That is the brand I have had the best luck with on baby backs !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Farmland Foods is the good one.  Swift Premium, not so good.  For some reason, the SP ones seem to be cut differently, and tend to have the long strands of cartilage perpendicular to the rib bones.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Farmland Foods is the good one.  Swift Premium, not so good.  For some reason, the SP ones seem to be cut differently, and tend to have the long strands of cartilage perpendicular to the rib bones.
    It's not the brand. One of those is spare ribs and one of them is St. Louis Style with all that stuff trimmed off.

• BYS1981
    Options
    I will try again soon.. today is my bday and carne asada tacos with abts.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will try again soon.. today is my bday and carne asada tacos with abts.
    Nice. happy B-day