Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

RDMS
RDMS Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Pork

I'm a newbie greenegger, my first attempt at ribs were ok but a little dry, cooked on a rib rack 4 hrs at 225. Used mustard then my rub.I have a thermometer for temp on grid it was at 225 the gauge on the egg was 250 is that normal because it is measuring the temp at the dome?

Any advise and all advise is welcome!

RDMS

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Here's some general info about temps and the BGE-

Most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook. Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-

I find with ribs the bone to meat ratio is so high that the best test for doneness is the bend test-pick up a full rack and if it bends around 90 degrees you are there.  If you have to cut the racks to fit, then go with the toothpick test-insert a toothpick into the thickest meat near the bone-no resistance in or out and they are finished. 

Welcome and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RDMS
    RDMS Posts: 3

Thnaks, that is good info! I will try again.

Thanks,

RDMS

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!