Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Port Forwarding for my Stokers

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I got my Stokers on my wireless Zyxel X550N router. I went into the configurations and added a http port with my Stokers IP address. Am I doing what I need to? How do I come in thru a browser and get to my Stokers? Sorry for the question but this is one area I never worked with.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Now you need to know the external IP address of your router, which should be on the WAN page of the configuration.  You can either enter that IP address in your browser when outside of your house, or you can subscribe to a Dynamic DNS service (the DDNS in your menu) and assign a name to your IP address.  The DDNS client in your router will keep the DDNS service updated when and if your external IP address changes. I use dyn.com but I think they may have done away with the free service.  Google dynamic dns and you will find plenty.  But first check the ones your router can communicate with.

You say Stokers, you don't have more than one on the same address?

Hope that helps.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    Rusty is right, but you may find setting up ddns is too much to go through, if you can remember your ip address or write it down, you are better off just doing that.

go to www.whatismyip.com

Get your ip, then in a browser from a network other than yours (or a tethered phone with a different ip addres to test)

go to your browser and type http://(youripaddress):your port you chose so it will look like this

http://98.xxx.xxx.xxx:PORT

if your configured properly you will get the log in screen for your stokers.

If you have more than one, you will need to configure them on different ports most likely.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I think I have it. I shut the wi-fi off on my phone and used my 4g with my crackberry browser back to my Stoker.

I have a static IP from my ISP and it sounds like that will be a big help??

When I put in http://.....:port, I went right to my Stoker page. Should I have been asked for a password?

Thanks for all your help!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• All you have done is forwarded the port from your external IP address to your stoker's internal address.  The router isn't going to add any security features to the forward that aren't in the stoker.  As I understand it the stoker has a feature to implement a security feature that requires a password to change the settings, but not to just see the page.  By the way, you don't need the PORT on the end of the URL as you have forwarded the default http port (80) on your router.  I promise you someone will find that port open, probably from Romania, and try to play with it.  The Zyxel doesn't support port mapping, allowing you to map an arbitrary external port number, like 8009 for example, to the internal port 80, so you are stuck with forwarding port 80.  I would absolutely make sure you enable the stoker password feature or you will find your cooks being modified by the interdemons.
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    As rusty has said, it is great practice to change from a traditional port to something random. I use numbers between 8000 and 9000 for my security system, router, server, and slingbox. Anything I want to connect to remotely.

I can see it now, you set up for a low and slow and all the sudden akbar muhhammed hacks your stoker and sets the temp to 600 lol. (no offense if there is an akbar muhhammed here)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    I look forward to the next firmware update from Rocks.  The connection is very unstable and I usually have to power cycle 2-3 times during a cook.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • michigan_jason

I look forward to the next firmware update from Rocks.  The connection is very unstable and I usually have to power cycle 2-3 times during a cook.
    Have you logged into the firmware of your stoker and your router to assign a static IP address? Not sure if I already mentioned this in another forum, but configuring a static ip address can be more stable.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    And these things are supposed to make it simpler? :-/
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    edited July 2012

"I promise you someone will find that port open, probably from Romania, and try to play with it"

I'm getting out my tinfoil hat.  Your bigger concern is your buddies that may want to mess with you.  Imagine a botnet of stokers....

• michigan_jason
    Good point @stike

They don't need to be configured for wireless access, but if you are a nerd, it is a cool feature.

• cazzy
    @michigan_jason @RustyBrainPan @bigguy136

The problem i've ran into is that port forwarding only works with Port 80 for me.  Very strange...not new to port forwarding and it's pretty straight forward. :P I'm going to snag a router from my test bed to rule out my router on Monday.

In addition, securing the Stoker only makes it "read only" and I don't see how I could bypass that externally.  You have to type in the url and add /ro.html at the end to disable "read only".  I think having a initial authentication password makes more sense but hey, I didn't write the code.
  • You could always just use logmein and not even use port forwarding. Just log into your home PC and use the 192.zzz.zzz.xxx because you will be connected internally

• cazzy
    edited August 2012
    You could always just use logmein and not even use port forwarding. Just log into your home PC and use the 192.zzz.zzz.xxx because you will be connected internally
    I've been doing that since go.  Just trying to make it more effortless.  I guess I can always LMI and disable "Read Only" if I need to change temps.