Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on my Large - Brisket

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

We welcomed a new member (a Large BGE) to our Egg family this weekend:

To break it in properly I decided to cook up a small 9.50 lb brisket (couldn't find any Choice so had to go with this Select grade):

All trimmed and rubbed:

Got the BGE lit for the first time:

And got the brisket on for an overnight cook:

Fast forward past the cook, and a few hours of rest in a heated cooler and into the office for a birthday potluck for one of my staff (sorry for the cell phone pics). Sliced the flat:

I did not have time to make burnt ends so I sliced up the point as well:

It was nice to break in the Egg with a successful brisket cook. Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    What a way to start R2! Not many brave enough to begin with a brisket - and serve it to a crowd of coworkers. Enjoy egging!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Lol, broke in his new egg.. not his first egg.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    What a way to start R2! Not many brave enough to begin with a brisket - and serve it to a crowd of coworkers. Enjoy egging!
    I'm not as brave as it might seem.  I've been cooking briskets on my XL.  This was just my break-in cook for my new Large. :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Oh, Ok I was thinking, Dang, this guy has some serious balls to just start out with brisket!   =))
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Oh, Ok I was thinking, Dang, this guy has some serious balls to just start out with brisket!   =))
    Or maybe this guy is Crazy!
    8-}

Bay Area, CA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

imageOur boy R2 is no stranger to good brisket...here he is accepting a top 10 Brisket award at last week's Bay Area BBQ Championships.  Congrats on the newest member to your little Egg family.

Tell your bride the brownies were simply delicious!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Well there you go!  Congrats on that! ^:)^
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thx Smitty! I'll let her know.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    The table is made by Sole Gourmet and is called a "Kamado Crate". They appear to have changed the design some for more storage now: http://solegourmet.com/catalog/10-big-green-egg-carts

It is pretty solid & easy to move around with the big casters.

Bay Area, CA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    WOW! Did you trim off all the fat? 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Congrats on Bay Area Bbq champ prize.. I wanted to go, but kid swim lessons trumped me. I am glad A's are playing well tho.