Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good all the way around

Tomcat225
Tomcat225 Posts: 41
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried my first bag of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior tonight.  Found it down in Orlando when we were visiting the Rat.  I have since learned that it is available at Ace Hardware.com with free shipping to a store.   It is by far the best lump I have found.  Huge chunks!!  Cooked a bone-in ribeye at 600 degrees with Cow Lick Rub. Used the woo2 and dropped the CI grate down to the coals.   Pulled it when the thermapen read 135.  About a 5 to 6 minute cook.  Finished it off with some Magic Hat #9, and sauteed baby spinach.. Ahh,  Life is great..  I think my dog Fuzz liked it too...Thanks for all the great advice on here...

Comments

• good night for Fuzz!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like our dinner last night. I also used Wicked Good and Cow Lick, but mine was a boneless ribeye. Since it was really thick the wife and I split one. Looks good and mine was too. Good weekend for egging.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Just finished the second of four bags purchased from Ace online. WG is some seriously excellent lump!
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I second that. Wicked Good is amazing. Love it.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    wicked goods awesome stuff. And when you have a 20% off coupon at ace it comes in right around $16 a bag!

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    That is how I got mine. Someone posted a 15% promo code so I ordered it online and shipped to store. Only about a nickle or dime more per lb than Royal Oak that way.
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    edited July 2012
    I used my first bag of WGWW this weekend.  I was amazed at the consistent large size of the lump.  The BGE stuff I've been getting lately seems to be all chips and dust by comparison.
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67

I am on my second bag of WG.   HUGE chunks.   Most noticable is how dense and heavy the pieces feel.  I suppose this is better.  I do think the burn consumption of the charcoal is less with WG. It seems to go further.    I am happy so far.   Seems like high quality stuff.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    it's definitely a longer lasting lump. I cooked 11 pizzas last week. Filled the firebox all the way to the top of the fire ring. Had no problem holding 650 for over 2hrs. Than shut her down. 6hrs later she was still at 300, added about 10 pieces of coals, hooked up my ique, dialed it at 275 and 14hrs later pulled off 4 pork shoulders. opened it up to do a clean burn immediately after and it held 550 for over 3hrs before it finally started dying down. That would've been a whole bag of BGE or royal oak.
  • I have been using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend charcoal for about 7 months now.....cooks great without the flare ups.  It really stands up to its #1 ranking!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I have noticed that WGWW is very smoke neutral.  Using it will allow any added smoke woods to really dominate the smoke flavor.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I grabbed just a few hunks of WG and had no problem getting the egg to 650. Seriously, this is good stuff!

It produces very little smoke flavor, which is ok by me. I can add chips or chunks for that. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I've got 3 bags on the way to my local Ace.

I've been happy with Ozark Oak, but looking forward to seeing how WG does
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    BBQ Guys has Ozark Oak for $9.95 for 10 lbs. I've been thinking about trying it. Is it as good as advertised?

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    BBQ Guys has Ozark Oak for $9.95 for 10 lbs. I've been thinking about trying it. Is it as good as advertised?

I recently purchased 40 #'s of Ozark Oak as a test run (not like The Naked Whiz mind you).  I find it to burn well, the pieces are good sized-but not like WG.  It does present a noticeable oak flavor (more than generic Royal Oak) and burns quite clean.  I'm not sure I would pay the extra $/# for it over the generic Royal Oak-but will definitely pay for the WG (which I use only for low&slows).  There are others on here who really like Ozark Oak and hopefully they will comment.  Best to by a bag and give it a go-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BBQ Guys has Ozark Oak for $9.95 for 10 lbs. I've been thinking about trying it. Is it as good as advertised?

I recently purchased 40 #'s of Ozark Oak as a test run (not like The Naked Whiz mind you).  I find it to burn well, the pieces are good sized-but not like WG.  It does present a noticeable oak flavor (more than generic Royal Oak) and burns quite clean.  I'm not sure I would pay the extra $/# for it over the generic Royal Oak-but will definitely pay for the WG (which I use only for low&slows).  There are others on here who really like Ozark Oak and hopefully they will comment.  Best to by a bag and give it a go-
    I just bought 5 more bags yesterday. I really like it. Burns clean and HOT. man does it get hot. I ordered 4 bags of WG from Ace today. haven't used it in 5 years or so, so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I need to get a bag of BOTW as my cheapie but I've really been spoiled by Ozark Oak. My last bag had ZERO shake or dust. It was good pieces to the very last. I've never seen anything like that. BOTW is usually 1-2 (or more)  lbs of shake in a 40lb bag. It's still way cheaper even if you throw out the shake but I have really enjoyed the OO the past few weeks.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I love Humphrey Lump. Price is the same as royal oak and the chunks are huge throughout the entire bag. Is like to try wicked good, nut Humphrey is my go to lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Newville
    wicked goods awesome stuff. And when you have a 20% off coupon at ace it comes in right around $16 a bag!

Someone needs to post the next 20% off Ace online ;)
  • wicked goods awesome stuff. And when you have a 20% off coupon at ace it comes in right around $16 a bag!

Someone needs to post the next 20% off Ace online ;)

good call newville
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Eggers - Is this the $21/22 pound bag from Ace? Also, Naked Whiz has this as "only" Recommended. Where I live, my selection of lump is very poor, basically BGE and RO and the stuff at Lowes or Kroger. I just want to be sure that y'all are raving about what may be my new lump. Thanks in advance.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Its way better than BGE or RO IMO.  Bigger chunks, burns ridiculously long and clean.
  • Newville
    Eggers - Is this the $21/22 pound bag from Ace? Also, Naked Whiz has this as "only" Recommended. Where I live, my selection of lump is very poor, basically BGE and RO and the stuff at Lowes or Kroger. I just want to be sure that y'all are raving about what may be my new lump. Thanks in advance.

Yep ... that's the one. Wicked Good Weekend Warior.
  • Just received a $10 gift card from the place I bought my egg from because they didn't bring me one of my items when they delivered it.  Might have to go and pick up a bag of this and see how it burns.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

At that price the only time i could use it would be on the weekend.

:))