Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips needed for Papa Murphy Pizza on BGE

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are thinking of cooking a Papa Murphy pizza on the Egg.  Can you all tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Welcome to the club, I do two a week and am sold. Egg to 450 or 500, Place setter feet down and if you have the feet put them under the stone. I just am using my feet now so I cut 1" copper pieces and let my pizza stone rest on that.

You can cook it in the cardboard they give you but you might get hot spots where it will burn it so watch and rotate.

About 5 Min or so into the cook you should be able to take the card board out if you like. But to be honest it doesnt matter.

Here is what it looks like. I am sold on the PM.

pm1.JPG 297.3K

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Tuttle - My brother lives in Dallas with a medium.  Yall should hook up.  Do you close the lid?  What is total cooking time?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    My advice, the crust burns easy.  Don't cook at higher temps than the instructions recommend.  Don't preheat your pizza stone very long (< 20 minutes).  I've burned more crusts than I've had turn out good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Yep close the lid and let her rip inside,  thats what gives it a great flavor. My best friend lives in Coopersburg and is a PSU grad. He is not doing well right now and hates me screwing with him.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Options
    I take parchment paper with me and have Papa Murphy's put under my pizzas. After 1 min. on the stone at 450 you can slide the paper out. Rotate pizza on the stone two or three times during the cook for a consistent crust. If you cook at higher temps, stick to one or two topping pizzas. On the supreme I burnt the crust before the toppings were done. Also, my favorite pizza of all time is the Thai Chicken at Pappa Murphy's.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    I take parchment paper with me and have Papa Murphy's put under my pizzas. After 1 min. on the stone at 450 you can slide the paper out. Rotate pizza on the stone two or three times during the cook for a consistent crust. If you cook at higher temps, stick to one or two topping pizzas. On the supreme I burnt the crust before the toppings were done. Also, my favorite pizza of all time is the Thai Chicken at Pappa Murphy's.

Havent gone to the point of bringing my paper in (the high school kids who are enjoying what the earth has to offer scares me) Dont get me wrong but I will wait it out

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Ousted the cardboard for my first one, cooked at lower temps and had a few hot spots. I didn't have a stone yet and placed foil on the plate setter (feet down). It came out pretty well for my first one though. Taste was great
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Trying this tonight! Late getting the egg started so pizza it is!
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Options
    Legs up grid he pizza stone and throw it on
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm sorry kids in your area can't handle a simple task.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    A bit off topic, but in my area PMs is doing 2 large one topping pizzas for $10 Monday through Wed. Hard to beat that. Wonder if you can freeze them since that is more than I can eat by myself and Mrs. G is outta town again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    A bit off topic, but in my area PMs is doing 2 large one topping pizzas for $10 Monday through Wed. Hard to beat that. Wonder if you can freeze them since that is more than I can eat by myself and Mrs. G is outta town again.
    Yep I usually buy them on Monday and the make one that night and freeze the other. Comes out just fine. I usally buy other ingredients at the store and then make it my deluxe.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, Tuttle.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Smokin_Good
    Options
    I prefer to freeze them before I cook them. I put them on the egg frozen that way they come right off the paper tray onto a hot pizza stone. They are done in about the same amount of time.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I'm lost, are you guys going to a local pizza shop and buying a raw pizza? I cannot find a place like that around me. Seems cool though.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Smokin_Good
    Options
    I'm lost, are you guys going to a local pizza shop and buying a raw pizza? I cannot find a place like that around me. Seems cool though.
    Papa Murphy's is "Take 'N' Bake pizza. They sell pizzas that are ready to be cooked.
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Oh, that's cool. We don't have those in MI to my knowledge.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Michigan style pizza down South.  These pies are off the chart and have won many raves from my friends. Pizzas are on hold right now because its just too damn hot to be standing out there cooking pies.  Prepping and staging homemade dough in this hot humid weather is not fun.  When I do my pizza cooks I generally do about 8 to 10 14" diameter pizzas and a couple calzones.  One pie comes off every 12 minutes.  I was in the business for years, so I have an advantage.  It is still fun to amaze everyone and it really is not that difficult. Preparation and organization is all it takes.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • cheid1977
    cheid1977 Posts: 20
    Options
    When I cook a Papa Murphy's pizza, I cook it at 425 for 20 - 25 minutes.  The cooking time will vary depending on how thick they put on the toppings.  I have cooked three pizzas the last few weeks and they turned out perfect everytime.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Kachow
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    To the top
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI