Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon

mm8552
mm8552 Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a couple of filets from my local butcher.  What is the best way to cook them to medium rare?  Temp, approx time, methods, etc?  I would appreciate any advise.  I would hate to ruin these beautiful steaks!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hot tub them. Season and seal them in a vac bag or foodsaver bag and put them in 100* to 120* water for about 40 minutes to inch of thickness. Grill at over 500* til you get just shy of your desired temp and rest. Go for grill marks but they won't take long. Rest for ten minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Def medium rare.

Sear at 750 near the lump 90 seconds a side. Pull and let rest for 20 minutes while you lower the temp to 400. Back on, preferably high in the dome, for 5 minutes a side.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Are these roughly 1lb steaks cut from a tenderloin?  I T-Rex them.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    A pound each wouldnt be very 'mignon'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    I always wrap in a thick piece of bacon, sea salt and pepeper corn. Usually take the dome to 500 and cook for 5 mins a side. Medium rare.
  • mm8552
    Thanks everyone for the advise.  I have some thick cut bacon from the butcher that I will use.  I am going to cook them this evening with some asparagus and wasabi, garlic mashed potatoes.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Par cook the bacon if it's thick
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

wasabi garlic in taters, mashed. Drool....

Can we get some more intel on this please?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• mm8552
    For the potatoes...boil potatoes until tender and then mash them as you would normally.  You can either use wasabi powder or paste - I prefer the paste.  I use maybe a quarter of a teaspoon per serving, usually about 1-2 tablespoon per batch, but add it gradually and taste them.  I use garlic salt instead of garlic powder - again use to taste.  Add a little pepper - as if you need more heat - and thats it.  Really simple and they taste great! 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    And most importantly, PICS!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    A pound each wouldnt be very 'mignon'
    I like them cut thick.  Maybe 12oz is more like it.  I've tried wrapped in bacon...didn't care for it.  Just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and T-Rex them with some hickory chunks for smoke.
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157

Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper.  Egg at 600-650 dome 2-3 minutes each side then shut the egg down and let it cook for 7-9 minutes.  Pull it out and let it rest about 5 minutes before eating.  I dont know how they get better than this.  Perfect medium to medium rare!