Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travis style brisket--first experience (with pics)

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried this on Sunday. 

7 lb choice flat from Sam's. 

Subbed beef stock for Allegro because family doesn't like spicy. Otherwise onions, dark beer, and garlic. 

Simple rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika). 

Nearly epic fail at start when i realized that alum pan I had didn't fit on large egg. Agressive reshaping solved problem and off we go.

Took about 8 hours at 300 dome (longer than I expected). Hickory chunks for smoke. Took off when it hit 200 and probe went in and out with no resistance. 

PROS: brisket very flavorful and moist. Bark very good given that it's really a braise. Some smoke ring although not dramatic

CONS: When I went to cut it it basically just disintegrated. I gave up and kind of pulled/chopped it --more like pulled pork (pulled brisket?). Knife was plenty sharp so I don't think that was it. Maybe I let it go a bit too long? Not quite ready for prime time yet.

It's a journey and it's clearly a great technique. Just need to give it another try. Looking forward to some chopped brisket leftovers with bbq sauce tonight!

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    It may not have sliced up like you wanted it to but DAMN that looks good!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I bet it was awesome but you did let it go too far temp wise. A braise will really tenderize your meat so if you are going to slice it, You'll need to keep a very close eye on the texture as it approaches 180. Keep checking and pull it before it's fall apart tender. Looks great though. A braise with bark and smoke is a good thing in my book
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    My experience with brisket flats is you need to cook to feel rather than temp. When you can insert and remove a temp probe without any resistance, you are done. Doesn't matter what temp the probe says. And I know this from experience as I had the same thing happen to me. Hope this helps. And yes, the pic does look awesome!

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Also can you share the recipe you used. I searched but couldn't find.

Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • MDHog
    MDHog Posts: 43
    Options
    Just search on here for Travis brisket. There's a post where he describes his technique, which I basically followed except for leaving out the Allegro spicy marinade. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BuckeyeBob
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex and Shiff.

I have always cooked just flats as that is what is readily available in my area but curious for those of you that cook the full packer, how do you like to serve the point? Do you make burnt ends? chili?

Clarendon Hills, IL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex and Shiff.

I have always cooked just flats as that is what is readily available in my area but curious for those of you that cook the full packer, how do you like to serve the point? Do you make burnt ends? chili?

Chili??????are you out of your mind???? :))

The point is the best part of the brisket. We give the flat to the kids and we eat the point. I eat it sliced  or cubed up on sammies for the most part. I don't do burnt ends, but they are good. I just love the flat right off the egg so I eat it that way.

If you want to do chili or bbq beans or something like that, use the thinnest part of the flat. That normally dries out so its good as an ingredient in chili or beans but I chop it finely, sauce it and make sammies. There is a lot of bark per bite in that part of the brisket so it's very good all chopped up and mixed with sauce.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just love the flat right off the egg so I eat it that way.

I meant to say I love the point right off the egg (not the flat). I like flat too, but the point is where the magic happens

And making chili out of brisket point is downright blasphemous down here!

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex. and forgive me on the chili qurestion. I saw that a number of times on some other lesser forums.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex. and forgive me on the chili qurestion. I saw that a number of times on some other lesser forums.
    All is forgiven.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    All this talk of brisket point has me ready to seek out a whole packer. I've only done flats around 4 lbs so far. Since they got progressively better I think I may be ready to give a whole one a shot. You guys have me wanting some brisket.