Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr Pepper Flank Steak

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Bought a flank steak last Thursday with the intention of marinating it that day and then cooking it Friday. Marinated it in a Dr. Pepper mixture that I made up (DP, mustard, Honey, Siracha, and spices). One thing led to another and I didnt get to cook it till tonight so it had a while to soak.

Did twice baked potatoes, and  some portabellas (Goat Cheese, Garlic, and Habenaro Peach sauce I had laying around.

When the potatoes were being cooked on the egg for the second time at 350 I threw the staek on for about 5 Min per each side. Took the potatoes and mushrooms off and then put my spider in and dropped my grate in. Seared about 90 Sec each side and pulled it off.

Came out to my medium rare likeness.

I will do this one again.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

dp.JPG 308.6K
dp1.JPG 257.8K
dp2.JPG 397.9K

Comments

• RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Options
    Wow that flank steak looks great and cooked perfectly. We do flank steaks regularly but haven't done a Dr Pepper marinade. Sounds like it is worth a try.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Yep will do the Dr Pepper again. My wife said it was a little sweet so It might get tweaked a tad.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Anyone who has Habenaro Peach sauce just laying around, is ok in my book.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking flank - well done! Well done meaning you did a great job plating everything, the meat looks absolutely perfect. 

We have often used round steak 1 1/2" thick, which we call tugboats, for marinating. Coke/Pepsi or root beer in the marinate. A year or two ago (pre owning our egg) we tried Dr. Pepper. Have used it ever since. Our spices are usually limited to salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. What do you use? 

I have to ask, what is Habanero Peach sauce, did you make it or is it off the shelf?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

Made this batch.

Peaches, Habenero, Tomato, Onion, Cayenne, Sugar and Boiled it in Vinegar then got everything nice and soft in the vinegar and threw it in a food processor.

And then tweaked it with spices to my taste.

I have seen Peach and Vidallia Onion before but it was some small town outside of Amarillo a few years ago.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sriracha sauce...interesting, never thought to use it in a marinade...but sounds good!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha
    Options

I use Siracha in alot of my marinades, It gives it a slight wang.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Anyone who has Habenaro Peach sauce just laying around, is ok in my book.
    I was thinking the same thing!  Thanks for the recipe, Tuttle!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month