Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

AnotherFirst Timer

bjadamsbjadams Posts: 25
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finished my table today and put my new large Egg together. Of course I had to give it a try so I went out to the supermarket and bought a chicken to butterfly or spatchcock as eggers like to call the technique. Started a load of BGE charcoal with the stater cubes and had the temp up to 375 in a short time. I found it very easy to keep the temp between 350 and 400 for the hour or so required. It's odd that I always resent the pre-heating of my electric oven as a waste of electric energy and my time but starting a fire and regulating it is somehow "fun". Anyway, I cooked the chicken for an hour and checked temps. The breast were just right but thighs were a bit short. Then  I saw that I could pull the thighs away from the breast and wings  using tongs and put them back on the grill until they hit 180. Results were great and the process was so much easier than cooking chicken on a gas grill.

If my electric oven wasn't built into the wall I think I'd list it on Craigs List.

I love this BGE and believe this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,688

Welcome and here's a technique I use on the spatchcock chix that works-I ice the breasts for around 15-20 mins before starting the cook-helps with the temperature difference between them and the thighs-an option.  And here's a great intro site for lots of great info-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Welcome, Spatch chicken was my second cook, it only gets better my friend. I have not used the inside ovenfrom over 2 weeks.
    ·
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 334
    Don't take much cooking to fall in love w/ the EGG!!!  I just cooked 14lbs of butt and it was WONDERFUL!!!! 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
    ·
  • bjadamsbjadams Posts: 25
    Second try was planked Mahi Mahi with peaches. Soaked planks, rubbed plank and fish with sesame oil  and used Paul Prudhome redfish rub. sprinkled peaches with brown sugar and lime juice. Cooked for 25 minutes at 400.

Pics of my (almost) finished table and Mahi.
    P1010426.JPG
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
    P1010428.JPG
    4320 x 3240 - 5M
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I love it almost finished, but you at still cooking in it! Good for you!
    ·
  • nice pool and view ! food looks good too

·