Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AnotherFirst Timer

Options
bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finished my table today and put my new large Egg together. Of course I had to give it a try so I went out to the supermarket and bought a chicken to butterfly or spatchcock as eggers like to call the technique. Started a load of BGE charcoal with the stater cubes and had the temp up to 375 in a short time. I found it very easy to keep the temp between 350 and 400 for the hour or so required. It's odd that I always resent the pre-heating of my electric oven as a waste of electric energy and my time but starting a fire and regulating it is somehow "fun". Anyway, I cooked the chicken for an hour and checked temps. The breast were just right but thighs were a bit short. Then  I saw that I could pull the thighs away from the breast and wings  using tongs and put them back on the grill until they hit 180. Results were great and the process was so much easier than cooking chicken on a gas grill.

If my electric oven wasn't built into the wall I think I'd list it on Craigs List.

I love this BGE and believe this is going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Comments