Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tri tip reverse sear

gte1gte1 Posts: 376
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I usually sear then roast, but the last time I did the reverse sear. It came out very good also. For those of you who do the reverse sear method, how do you roast? What temp, direct, indirect? I did raised direct at about 350. Just looking for different ideas.

George
George
·

Comments

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    For tri-tip, I usually go indirect (i've done raised direct as well but prefer to avoid the juices dripping into the coals) at 325-350 until IT hits 118-120, remove the roast to rest under foil while getting the Egg up to about 550, then sear for 1 min per side. Usually ends up coming off at 130 +/- 2 degrees and during the rest it peaks around 135.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/R2Egg2Q/BBQ/IMG_0996.jpg

Now the originator of the reverse sear Chris Finney, roasts at lower temps up to 5-10 degrees of the final target. You can read about the Finney method here: http://www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I always reverse sear. I roast direct raised at about 350 and pull 10 degrees prior to optimal temp.
    ·
  • bvanma28bvanma28 Posts: 57
    I eat mine medium rare. #1 indirect at 350 20-25 mins a side. #2 direct at 425 14-17 mins a side. Depends on how big. Direct gives a good bark where as indirect doesn't. I personally dont use a meat thermo so can't help u on the internal temp.
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    Did them 350 raised direct then seared, a little red oak. Came out great.
    George
    ·