Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skillet Nachos and bacon

Options
RocEGG
RocEGG Posts: 89
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Been enjoying my egg lately. Did up some really great steaks and burgers, used it as an oven to bake fries and of course more pizzas. Picture below is one skillet with homemade nachos. Did layers of tortilla chips with homemade taco seasoning beef, cheddar cheese, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and some cayenne powder. They turned out great. In the skillet next to it I have some bacon cooking for avocado BLTs we had the next night. I am about to put on a nice 8lb boston butt bone in pork shoulder as well. Can't wait for some of that tomorrow.

Also my BGE pizza stone shattered on me when cooking some bread on it the other night. It is now in two pieces, with roughly a third breaking off. Upside is I can now fit two stones on the XL, so maybe it will work out.
Rochester, NY  - XL BGE

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Good looking cook.  What happened to the pizza stone?  I was thinking about getting one.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • RocEGG
    Options
    I don't know what happened with the stone, but it must have been thermal shock. I got the egg going and put the CGS indirect stone on my woo2, and then my pizza stone on the raised grid. I let it preheat for about 15 minutes at 400 and then put the bread on. It was about 5 minutes into cooking and I opened the egg to check on it and as soon as I lifted the dome I heard a crack and the stone separated into two pieces quite forcefully. As I haven't heard about this happening very often, I would assume there was an internal defect or something.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Is the pizza stone warrantied?  I haven't purchased one yet but I would hate to spend the cash on one of those if they aren't going to last.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • RocEGG
    Options
    Good question, I have no idea. I would assume so. I will call my dealer on Monday when they open. Until then I bet someone on the board will comment with the info!
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I think they are $100 locally.  I dont want to drop another 100 on something that may not last.  I am sure itching to do a pizza though...  Decisions, decisions.  Let us know what you find out.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I think 3 yrs for pizza stone and platesetter.