Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looking for no-fail babyback rib procedure

2»

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited July 2012
    Greetings from Dublin Ireland - newbie BGE owner. Have cooked ribs over foil drip-pan with apple juice. Invariably boils dry and burns. Other suggestions welcome.
    If you are going to use liquids, then seal them in for steaming\braising (Car Wash Mike style). 
    Personally I just use the drip pan, and put spacers between it, and the stone to prevent bad burning.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • ignatrockignatrock Posts: 1
    I pre rub with yellow mustard then dry rub with a good KC mix.  Smoke for 3 hours with 8 chunks of apple wood.  I wrap in foil for 2 hours after putting honey and a light sprinkle of brown sugar along with some apple juice.  All this at 250 dome temp.  Sauce if you wish and tighten up for 1/2 hour and they are pull off the bone good.
    ·
  • I do mine low and slow. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, rub them with a dry rub and wrap and refrigerate overnight.(for me anyway) Get the egg lit. I like either wicked good or green egg charcoal. I think egg gives more smoke than wicked but wicked is harder and has larger chunks. Once the charcoal is going, I add apple chunk wood and soaked cherry wood chips. Plate setter with legs up. Grill rack on top with a vertical rib rack. Throw on the ribs and close her up. I use a DigiQ but I get the temp to 215. Cook for 5 hours or so....depending on thickness of ribs. The last half hour I like to throw a little light glaze on them. Once they are done, I pull them and wrap them in foil until you can't wait any longer.....it works every time and I have won several competitions with this method.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Less about time ...  Travis hit the nail on the head a  day or so ago..   When the bone is sticking out,  When you pick up one end and meat pulls away from the bone  --- they are done.   Somewhere between 4 to 7 hours depending on temp, humidity, phase of the moon, and size of your bone.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • trip150trip150 Posts: 30
    My process appears to work well for my tastes - meat not falling off the bone but close.
    1) overnight soak in a brine. Salt and spices of your liking with water. I go back and forth on vinegar with water, I can't really tell the difference. Same with brown sugar in the brine.
    2) 2 hrs before I take them out of the brine and hit them up with the dry rub. Sometimes I add brown sugar, but a very light coating with spices (too much and it will burn).
    3) get the egg and placesetter (legs up) warmed up to 200-250, presoaked chips in and put a pie tin covered in foil on the PS with a little water - I do this more to catch drippings/keep the PS clean vs moisture advantages.
    4) I have adjusted the 2-2-1 process to 3-1-.5 - I find a good steam in 100% apple juice in foil helps a lot with tenderness and apple flavor. The times are a rough guide, whenever they look done they are done, just test with the bone method mentioned several times already.
    5) I use the auber instruments PIDcontroller, which helps me keep the smoking temp to 225 for the 3 hrs, 250 for 1 hr, without this or the digi you are going to be at a higher temp, so pull back the cook time.
    ·