Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock and size?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi..and thanks for all of the great info! i have a question about chicken. this guy is big..i'm guessing around 8 pounds, could be more..got him at a amish-dutch market..sold as a roaster. would i make a mistake in spatchcocking it direct or should i go indirect (platesetter) and throw it in a v-rack... this is my first attempt at a whole chicken...but i'm not sure if the size would decide...
thanks much
gogo

Comments

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    gogo,[p] As long as you can put that gorgeous bird on the large after you cut the back bone out, I'd say that spatching it is the same as if it were slighhtly smaller...
    I've heard of spatching a turkey, so you should be good to go. Maybe ice down the breasts before cooking....IMHO[p]Paul

• Unknown
    Options
    thanks....what do you think about indirect roasting at 500 sitting in a v-rack? i don't think a beer can will hold it? maybe? i'm not sure...my dad treated me to this egg and i wanted to surprise him with somethin' really good...i have most of the extras....and, before the egg, used kafka's roasting book....ahhhhh! wouldn't matter to me, just wanted to see him smile...thanks again, gogo

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    gogo,[p]a vrack will work but it's not necessary; if you have the
    platesetter or similar to go indirect with a drip pan, the spatchcocked bird should sit flat on the grill without a problem.[p]it'll be great. don't sweat it.
    HS

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    gogo,[p]500 seems to high to me. I would keep it in the 350/375 range.
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    gogo,[p]TNW's dead simple spatchcock chicken.
    [ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm[/ul]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    gogo,[p]
    Take it from someone who grew up raising chickens...[p]I cant say for sure as I don't see the bird...but any chicken that big...is NO roaster!![p]Thoes are old brooders...most times sold as stewing hens.[p]That's not the type of chicken you want for spatchcocking.[p]It will be tough...no matter how you cook it over a live fire.!![p]It would be fine for chicken & dumplings,chicken soup or chicken chili.[p]Go get a whole fryer 3-4 lb' range...get two if you have to.[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    hi...thanks for all of your help...EVERYbody...i'm confused...i thought the spatchcocked chx should be cooked DIRECT on a raised grill..no place setter and no drip pan....did i miss something on the Whiz's site?
    thanks again...
    gogo

• HolySmokes
    Options
    gogo,
    How you cook it has nothing to do with how you prepare it.[p]Spatchcocking is simply an antiquated word for butterfly. I prefer grilling chicken on the egg indirect, and spatchcocking is one great way to go.
    HS

• Unknown
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    oh!!! can ya tell i'm a newbie? LOL...well, that makes sense...with the size of this bird, Chubby thinks i'm in trouble....or that's what i've read into his reply :( soooooooo.....i don't know which way to go...big bird suggestions? next time i'll pick out a smaller bird!~

• HolySmokes
    Options
    gogo,
    Chubby may well be right. I don't know if you could get away with cooking it longer with a lower temp and hoping that might help... 'course how tough a chicken have I ever had? don't know; not very. Maybe soup's the answer.
    good luck! HS

• Unknown
    Options
    hi guys...
    okay...i'm at 400 degrees on direct heat (but raised) and spatchcocked...looking good..i dont think it was nearly as heavy as the weight she charged me for (*sigh) probably 5 - 6 pounder...guessing... she's been on the egg for 37 minutes and has reach a internal breast temp of 158 degrees....keep going to 165 and let it rest? i covered it in a rub (liberally) and evoo, but the skin doesn't look incredibly crispy...any thoughts? (oh, it's sitting over a drip pan with some yuengling and roasted garlic in it)..........mostly, i don't know when it is done...should i check legs or breast, etc etc etc....[p]never had more fun cooking since i got my egg...and get this...i'm a vegetarian!~ just cooking for my loved ones! thanks so much again
    gogo
    thanks for your help
    ~g