Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight smoke!

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
2am in Dallas. Couple more hours you'll be able to see Venus, Jupiter, and the Sun all up over the horizon with the naked eye. Rare night or sure.

Got a 5.5lb pork butt on the XL. 225 grid, 195 target for butt. Coated in mustard and dizzy dust. Injected with apple juice and apple cider. Cherry wood chunks in place. 8am I should be able to pull and FTC. The smell billowing from the egg is absolutely amazing.

3 vodka / monsters into this thing. I'm tired. Sophisticated drink it's not. Gonna let the DigiQ take over for now.

See y'all in the morning with pics!

Jason

Comments

• LPGator
    LPGator Posts: 10
    Beautiful morning on the East coast as well. I put a 7lb butt on at 5:30am. Brined it for 24 hours, coated it in mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Grid temp 250, butt target 195. It's my first butt on my new XL egg.
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    nice! hope they both turn out great. I used to be able to do the 2am drinking cook but since the new baby i spend my 2am feeding. I am going to put a butt on later too, have to find an injector though, that seems like it would add a bunch of flavor.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • JWBurns
    Good day everyone.

Pit temp is dead set at 250, internal is 165. I bumped up te temp a bit to speed things along slightly. Should be coming up on the stall soon.

The smell out back is amazing.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    The smell of a butt, ribs, or any other low and slow cook makes my patio smell sooooo good.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just brought my XL home yesterday.  Wanting to put some ribs on it today, but we have spotty thunderstorms all day.  Still thinking about it though!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Just brought my XL home yesterday.  Wanting to put some ribs on it today, but we have spotty thunderstorms all day.  Still thinking about it though!
    If egg DW is covered and you can get fire startef, you should be fine. The egg can do it, but the question is the weather going to make you miserable.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Nothing like sitting under a tent having a drink and watching the rain as your egg chugs along...

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I love the smell of a pork butt low and slow. Best thing ever. Good luck with your cook. Sounds like all is well.
  • JWBurns
    I love the smell of a pork butt low and slow. Best thing ever. Good luck with your cook. Sounds like all is well.
    So far so good.

It is taking longer than I planned however. Been on at 11 hours right now, and I'm currently at 172 internal.

195 seems so far away!
  • JWBurns
    12.5 hours for a 5.5lb pork butt. Is this normal?

It's injected, 250 grid, plate setter.
  • No expert but my guess is a little long because of injection
  • JWBurns
    I've always understood it to be opposite, that the injection causes it to cook quicker, due to the distribution of heat.
  • Where's strike when you need him
  • I just pull one off 8 lbs put on at 3am 250 dome temp 12.5.hrs 199 meat temp when off now foiled and wrapped in cooler
  • That is not normal but not completely out of the question. I do wonder if your grid thermo was right. I've never heard of anything taking over 2 hrs per lb at 250 degrees. I'm more like 1-1.5 at that temp. Where was your thermo? Was it possibly sticking out over the edge of the platesetter getting direct heat? I've done that before and it is hotter there.

Sounds like you were around 200 grid at that time

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JWBurns
    That is not normal but not completely out of the question. I do wonder if your grid thermo was right. I've never heard of anything taking over 2 hrs per lb at 250 degrees. I'm more like 1-1.5 at that temp. Where was your thermo? Was it possibly sticking out over the edge of the platesetter getting direct heat? I've done that before and it is hotter there.

I've got the DigiQ clipped right on the grate, next to the v-rack thats holding the butt, in the very center of the grid
  • That is not normal but not completely out of the question. I do wonder if your grid thermo was right. I've never heard of anything taking over 2 hrs per lb at 250 degrees. I'm more like 1-1.5 at that temp. Where was your thermo? Was it possibly sticking out over the edge of the platesetter getting direct heat? I've done that before and it is hotter there.

I've got the DigiQ clipped right on the grate, next to the v-rack thats holding the butt, in the very center of the grid

Must have been those Vodka/Monsters then. All I can think of :))

seems long but they are all a little different.

• JWBurns
    16 hours and we finally reached temp. 195-202 in spots per Thermapen. It's currently FTC till I serve at 7:30.

When I serve, I know I break it down and pull the bone and any fat - but do I also chop up the bark into the pulled pork? Or, is the only thing I want to serve in the middle?

Sorry - pork newbie
  • LPGator

The butt got to 200 degrees on the DigiQ at 10.5 hours. Grid temp was 250 thru the day. When I pulled it off the rack  it fell apart. Wrapped it in foil for 1 1/2 hours. Very moist but a little salty but the family loved it. The bark was pretty moist.I think the combination of brining and Bad Byrons was a little too much sodium.

I've never had pork this moist. Next time I'll try it without the brining, or without the Bad Byrons.

• Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    LPGator, I like to use Bad Byrons also, but I used it too aggresively on some spares. I can be too salty when used liberally.
  • the bark is where all the flavor is. Chop it in for sure

• do it without the brine. No need for it on pulled pork. Just rub it and smoke it

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited July 2012
    I might be late here, but I like to chop up my bark and mix it in. I feel like everyone should have some small pieces mixed in. That is where the good flavor is. You worked hard for that bark, everyone should enjoy it.
  • LPGator
    Next time no brine.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    By all means you want to get as much of the bark worked into the pulled pork as you can.  sometimes a piece of bark might be too hard, but those will be few and far between.
    the bark is where all the flavor is. Chop it in for sure

• JWBurns

Success.

Took 16 hours on the grid to reach 198-202 on the butt. Pulled, FTC for 3 hours, then served.
    Everyone loved it!

Cen-Tex, the vinegar finishing sauce was an absolute hit as well. I was worried it would be a bit too vinegar'y,
    so I added a bit of extra brown sugar, and a half a stick of butter. Exceptional on the pork.

I did find that I'm not a huge fan of injecting. I did 75% apple, 25 apple cider. I felt that it imparted an additional 
    and unnecessary flavor to the meat. The Dizzy Dust and cherry wood chips I used would have been more 
    than sufficient for flavor. Overall a definate success.

Thanks to all on the board for the tips, and making me look good :)