Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally the pizza dough recipe I was looking for!

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What a week!  First boneless chicken breast cooked sous vide then the next day the most amazing porterhouse steak I ever made (I also cooked sous vide) and now, after years of chasing the right pizza dough recipe, I finally found was I was looking for!  It was posted in another thread by @nolaegghead -Thanks!

I doubled the recipe and used:
-1 kg Flour
-650 grams of warm natural spring water @ 120 F
-20 grams salt
-1 pack (8 g) active dry yeast

Mix yeast in water and let stand for 10 minutes
Mix Flour and salt in Kitchen Aid mixer bowl
Slowly add the water and yeast to the bowl while mixing at medium low speed (2-3) with dough hook

Egg setup:
Platesetter legs up in PSWoo2 with Woo extender on regular grate.  Big green egg pizza stone on Woo extender.
Pre-heated egg @ 600

I used parchment paper (removed after 5 minutes)

Each pie was baked for a total of 10 minutes (180 degrees rotation after 5 minutes when removing the parchment paper)

This is a verry wet/sticky dough.  It is important to use flour on your hands and working surface to handle the dough.

Comments

• paqman
    It was good! I just noticed that a critical piece of information is missing from my post. The secret ingredient is Caputo "the chef's flour" tipo 00 flour.

I use Caputo 00 EVERY Friday night for our family pizza night. I get it from brickovenbaker.com   It is the best.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Yummy, looks great!
  • paqman
    I use Caputo 00 EVERY Friday night for our family pizza night. I get it from brickovenbaker.com   It is the best.
    I found it at a local dealer for 2.49$ for a 1 kg  (2.2 lb) bag. I was skeptical but it does make a differencenin the texture.  I posted a picture of the bag I purchased, is it the same you are using?

I found it at a local dealer for 2.49$ for a 1 kg  (2.2 lb) bag. I was skeptical but it does make a differencenin the texture.  I posted a picture of the bag I purchased, is it the same you are using?
    Yes that is the same bag.  I live in a small, rural KY town so I ordered from brickovenbaker.com     Got 10 bags in a shipment.  don't remember what I paid for it.
  • smells wonderful !!! awsome job

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    One problem. I don't speak metric. ;)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Being a Forno Bravo dealer, I carry all their flours and I've experimented with all of them. Bread and pizza are awesome with "00" flour. That's all I use. The Forno forum isn't bad either a lot of great threads run there.

@paqman, great looking pies. You hit a home run.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • paqman
    LOL Google is your friend!

I used the whole bag of flour so that was 2.2 pounds
    650 ml water (for water, 1 ml = 1 g)
    4 tsp salt
    1 tsp active dry yeast (the recipe actually calls for 6 grams but the pack was 8 grams so I used it all) 

Yes that is the same bag.  I live in a small, rural KY town so I ordered from brickovenbaker.com     Got 10 bags in a shipment.  don't remember what I paid for it.

@Duganboy , now that I have tried this one, I wish I could find the real thing. The bag I purchased had a 10% protein content. The caputo pizzeria flour has 12+% protein content... I understand that it can only be purchased in 25 kg bags and I have not seen it anywhere...

edited July 2012
    For diner tonight, we used the leftover dough from yesterday.  We made a total of 4 (14 inches) pies with the recipe.  The texture was good, we did not notice a big difference in taste from yesterday.  Beside convenience, we did not see any benefit to preparing the dough in advance.

imageimage

Those pies look delicious.  I think you have a winner.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That recipe is the winner. A friend of mine who has a Mobile Brick Oven Business told me about that website. I was sold after the first time I did it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    What's that yellow cheese doing on such an excellent pizza dough? ;)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Looks good...ditch the package of yeast and use a sourdough starter, then you'll really have the dough you're looking for...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just used that recipe yesterday.  Made one pie and refrigerated the rest of the dough.  Yeah, the flour makes a big difference!
    There should be a little "g/oz" button on your scale.....
    I just ordered the flour.  Do you all have good recipes/brands for pizza sauce?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • frank318
    frank318 Posts: 15
    The pizza looked great! Tell me about the chicken and steak cooked sous vide, did you put meat on green egg also. I have a flavorseal unit but haven' t used it yet, I need to purchase a vac seal unit. What kind do you use? Thanks
  • paqman
    The pizza looked great! Tell me about the chicken and steak cooked sous vide, did you put meat on green egg also. I have a flavorseal unit but haven' t used it yet, I need to purchase a vac seal unit. What kind do you use? Thanks
    Steak - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141517/first-sous-vide-porterhouse-with-schwartz-montreal-steak-spices-finished-on-the-egg

Right now I am using a foodsaver unit with a Polyscience sous vide professional immersion circulator.

edited July 2012
    What's that yellow cheese doing on such an excellent pizza dough? ;)
    That my friend is 10 years old cheddar with a mix of 5 other cheese.

edited July 2012
    Looks good...ditch the package of yeast and use a sourdough starter, then you'll really have the dough you're looking for...
    @Mighty_Quinn - I have no experience whatsoever with sourdough. I don't have a local source so I will have to order online.  What scares me is that you have to take care of it, feed it, etc.  Do you suggest a good place to start reading about it?

Once you have some starter, is easy to take care of...ask around to local bakeries to see if they have some you can have (or buy)...or there a plenty of places to order some online....or make your own. I like this method-

http://williamalexander.com/bread/levain.cfm

For general sourdough info......http://sourdo.com/. The book 'Classic Sourdoughs' from that site is a great resource too.
  • paqman
    Once you have some starter, is easy to take care of...ask around to local bakeries to see if they have some you can have (or buy)...or there a plenty of places to order some online....or make your own. I like this method- http://williamalexander.com/bread/levain.cfm For general sourdough info......http://sourdo.com/. The book 'Classic Sourdoughs' from that site is a great resource too.
    Interesting.  I ordered the book you suggested as well as a few others from Peter Reinhart.  I'll look arround to find starter and if I can't find, I'll order from sourdo.com

Thanks

Highly recommend reading what Jeff Varasanos has to say about pizza. Awesome resource. http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
    Interesting read.  The guy diminishes the impact of using 00 flour VS all purpose and claims it has little impact.  I disagree with that, I am not saying saying that 00 flour *must* be used, but to me it made a big difference.  I was highky skeptical when first trying but I was pleasantly surprised.  That being said there's probably a few techniques I can use and sourdough is on my "to do" list in the next few weeks.

Earlier this week, I made the same recipe but with a different type of flour.  The flour I used was a tipo "0" pizza flour.  The texture was not as good as with the the caputo tipo "00" flour.  Next time I will try another brand of tipo "00" to see how it compares to the Caputo brand.

imageimageimage

I couldn't find the Antimo Caputo Tipo "00" flour anywhere in town, so I just ordered 10 1Kg bags from Amazon.  It was $34 shipped (I think).  Each 2.2lb bag makes two batches of 3 pizzas, So I'll make a 3 or 6 pizza batch.  It's about 2.5 - 3 hours between mixing the dough and throwing the pie.  It's fine the next day, no better or worse.  But, compared to the no-knead recipe, less time and I think a better crust.

I don't add oil to the dough, I've been going with the purist recipe.  I might try it - I believe it makes the dough brown better during cooking, and the texture a little chewier (and less crispy).  

I couldn't find the Antimo Caputo Tipo "00" flour anywhere in town, so I just ordered 10 1Kg bags from Amazon.  It was $34 shipped (I think).

Not bad, I paid 2.49$ per bag at a local store.