Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Well it's not a Thermapen

2»

Comments

• deeznutzdeeznutz Posts: 13
    Thermopen is only 100 bucks, what the big deal?
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    picked this up at lowes today tested it in boiling water only off by 2 tenths of a degree not bad for 17.98 by far not a thermopen but it does have flames . 

The flames are what makes it work.
    I hear the flame edition thermapens come with a watermelon instead of jelly beans.
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    Thermopen is only 100 bucks, what the big deal?

actually no big deal at all.  but it is not the only thermometer on the market that serves the purpose of an "instant" read.

i was going to buy the thermapen and then was recommended this one.  so for 30 bucks, not a major investment... and if turns out to be crap, 100 bucks isnt a deal breaker either.

but why spend the extra $$ if both work the exact same way?

• For anyone on a budget, check out this one for $19

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

I have it and it takes readings in between 3-5 seconds.  It has a very thin probe and best of all, you can calibrate it (it has a pot adjustment screw).

• Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    A $100 is a gallon of diesel! :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    I'm a "buy right, buy once" kind of guy.

The $20 and $30 dropped on a cheapie that's gonna crap in no time, it's best served towards a unit that will last. Merely my opinion.

For those thinking of picking up a TP, they are offering a free timer with your purchase as a holiday special.
    My cheapie has been great and dead on. Very happy with it. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Go
    For anyone on a budget, check out this one for $19

I have it and it takes readings in between 3-5 seconds.  It has a very thin probe and best of all, you can calibrate it (it has a pot adjustment screw).

Got this one. So far so good. Time will tell.
  • eggoeggo Posts: 441
    Go
    For anyone on a budget, check out this one for $19

Got this one. So far so good. Time will tell.
    I've had this one for 8 months and works plenty fast for me.

Eggo in N. MS
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    So cheat.  I love my thermopen but I even cheat with it.  Poke the probe into the daisy-wheel and bring the temp up to your target.  Then open up and jam it in.  No many, many seconds waiting for it to come up to temp.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I have a CDN proaccurate DTQ450W. Worked great for about five years, just crapped out. I just ordered a new one from amazon for about 20 bucks
  • I have a CDN proaccurate DTQ450W. Worked great for about five years, just crapped out. I just ordered a new one from amazon for about 20 bucks
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Does anyone have a CDN proaccurate DTQ450W?
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    Does anyone have a CDN proaccurate DTQ450W?
    :))