Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Filet Mignon

mm8552mm8552 Posts: 12
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a couple of filets from my local butcher.  What is the best way to cook them to medium rare?  Temp, approx time, methods, etc?  I would appreciate any advise.  I would hate to ruin these beautiful steaks!

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,885
    Hot tub them. Season and seal them in a vac bag or foodsaver bag and put them in 100* to 120* water for about 40 minutes to inch of thickness. Grill at over 500* til you get just shy of your desired temp and rest. Go for grill marks but they won't take long. Rest for ten minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Def medium rare.

Sear at 750 near the lump 90 seconds a side. Pull and let rest for 20 minutes while you lower the temp to 400. Back on, preferably high in the dome, for 5 minutes a side.
  • njlnjl Posts: 851
    Are these roughly 1lb steaks cut from a tenderloin?  I T-Rex them.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    A pound each wouldnt be very 'mignon'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bvanma28bvanma28 Posts: 57
    I always wrap in a thick piece of bacon, sea salt and pepeper corn. Usually take the dome to 500 and cook for 5 mins a side. Medium rare.
  • mm8552mm8552 Posts: 12
    Thanks everyone for the advise.  I have some thick cut bacon from the butcher that I will use.  I am going to cook them this evening with some asparagus and wasabi, garlic mashed potatoes.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Par cook the bacon if it's thick
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,550

wasabi garlic in taters, mashed. Drool....

Can we get some more intel on this please?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• mm8552mm8552 Posts: 12
    For the potatoes...boil potatoes until tender and then mash them as you would normally.  You can either use wasabi powder or paste - I prefer the paste.  I use maybe a quarter of a teaspoon per serving, usually about 1-2 tablespoon per batch, but add it gradually and taste them.  I use garlic salt instead of garlic powder - again use to taste.  Add a little pepper - as if you need more heat - and thats it.  Really simple and they taste great! 
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 3,145
    And most importantly, PICS!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • njlnjl Posts: 851
    A pound each wouldnt be very 'mignon'
    I like them cut thick.  Maybe 12oz is more like it.  I've tried wrapped in bacon...didn't care for it.  Just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and T-Rex them with some hickory chunks for smoke.
  • KingtUTKingtUT Posts: 141

Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper.  Egg at 600-650 dome 2-3 minutes each side then shut the egg down and let it cook for 7-9 minutes.  Pull it out and let it rest about 5 minutes before eating.  I dont know how they get better than this.  Perfect medium to medium rare!