Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving pulled pork

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Stupid question but how do you guys serve pulled pork. A couple weeks ago I served the entire butt. I've heard some pull it apart separating the fat nd others chop up the entire thing on a butchers block without removing fat. Additionally, I leave sauce in a bottle for folks to add their own. How about you guys?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Most pull it apart when it has cooled slightly.  Pick through it and throw out the fatty lumps.  I put a liitle of my rub in the pulled pork and spray it with a little apple juice.  I also use a vinegar based sauce that I squirt on the pork while pulling it.

Like you, I serve the sauce on the side. Serve the PP on a cheap white bun.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I pull it all (don't remove the fat) and sprinkle a little vinegar finishing sauce over it then let people serve themselves. Sauce is on the table for people to use if they want

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I pull it, mix with a half gallon of Kraft BBQ sauce and stick it in a crock pot - just kidding.  Pull, removing the big pieces of fat, which usually are very few, with sauce on the side.  I prefer without sauce.  I just spent 20 hours to get the flavor into it, why mask it with sauce.  
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    98 people out of 100 are going to cook until an internal temp of 195 or so, pull it all, and serve it.  After I shred it all, I like to either add some rub mixed in or a little sauce mixed in, but really it stands up well on it's own.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I remove the fat cap.  Pull the rest with a couple of forks.  Throw out any disgusting looking pieces of fat.  Put it all in a cake pan and pour my vinegar based finishing sauce over it.  Serve right out of the cake pan.  I have absolutely nothing in common with class.
  • MDHog
    MDHog Posts: 43
    Options
    Best results for me is to add a modest amount of vinegar based sauce and some rub after it's pulled. Extra sauce on the table for those that want that. 

If there are a lot of kids at the party then I often will pull some with no sauce which seems more popular with the kiddos.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I pull it, removing any blobs of fat that I find in it. I make sure to cut up the bark into small pieces (just to avoid huge chunks). As I am pulling it I put it in a crock pot set on warm or low. When I am done I pour in about 16 oz of George's sauce per 5 lbs uncooked butt. George's is a vinegary NC style sauce available in many NC grocery stores (since I know from last week that you are in NC). I like this because it is a little less vinegary than the standard NC style sauce. My wife and her family are from up north and don't like the vinegary as much as I do (NC native here more vinegar the better, lol). So it is sort of a compromise. If you and your guests like the full NC vinegar sauce, mix up a batch of that instead. There are plenty of recipes on the web. I like to serve it with Martin's Potato dinner rolls because they are smaller than the standard hamburger rolls. So it is basically like BBQ sliders. I also like to get the wife to make some slaw also to put on the sandwiches. That's how I like to do it. Haven't had a complaint from my guests yet.