Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the grill

Options
Hayhill
Hayhill Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A newbie question. I got by first BGE about 2 weeks ago and just love it. Everything we have doen has been great. The question : How is the best way to clean the cooking grill? Scrape? Oven cleaner? Brillo? Leave it alone?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    HayHill, Welcome to the world of the BGE - you are in for lots of fun.[p]I thought about cleaning mine once, but it remained just a thought... probably just best to leave it in and let the heat rise.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    HayHill,[p]I use a brass brush now and then to remove the big stuff - do a pizza and it will self clean.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    HayHill,
    Some folks go all out and clean it spotless all the time.
    I have a long handled brass brush, and usually brush the chunky stuff off after it is preheated. The chunks fall into the fire and are quickly consumed. [p]If it is really dirty (like it gets when you use a finishing sauce), I will set it on some newspapers, and get most of the thick stuff off before putting it in humpty.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Forgot to mention something important.
    Cleaning the grill is less important if you are cooking the same thing you did last time. If you cooked fish last, and you are doing chicken now, then you want to get most of the crud off so you don't have salmon-flavored chicken.[p]Q on.
    NB

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I thought you were going to say that you opened those Eggs and sprinkled bird seed in there. It would stick to the crud and the birds would pick it clean for you. You have squirrels? They would be big helps with the larger chunks of crud. To bad we don't have bears in these parts - they would do a good job.[p]Tim