Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How peeps will a #10lb butt feed??

Options
Lowflyer
Lowflyer Posts: 785
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My baby girl turns 1yr old next Fri and were having a crew (40ppl maybe?) coming over to the pool on Sat and I'm going to smoke a big butt for everyone. Just wondering how many ppl this might handle. I'm sure everyone won't eat, but u never know when the meat comes off the Egg....

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @Lowflyer - Just had a remarkably similar weekend two weeks back (son's 1st instead of daughter). Cooked a 9.5# shoulder for ~30 people at the park (probably 22-23 adults). Served it with all the trimmings and had maybe 1# make it back to the house. I was pretty surprised but there were some non-meat eaters there. I'd say if you've got beans, fruit, salad, etc you're probably in the area (especially if you do dogs or something for the kids) but if you're really focusing on the Q it might be in the short range. I should mention I had good rolls out, so most of my pork was consumed in sandwich form.

Hope it goes great, dude, we enjoyed the hell out of our day. Kid was covered in bright red frosting. Looked like a cute little zombie...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks B_B.
    Good idea w/ some dogs and all the trimmings!!!
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    MANY^^^^^ in the title.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Lowflyer - Just had a remarkably similar weekend two weeks back (son's 1st instead of daughter). Cooked a 9.5# shoulder for ~30 people at the park (probably 22-23 adults). Served it with all the trimmings and had maybe 1# make it back to the house. I was pretty surprised but there were some non-meat eaters there. I'd say if you've got beans, fruit, salad, etc you're probably in the area (especially if you do dogs or something for the kids) but if you're really focusing on the Q it might be in the short range. I should mention I had good rolls out, so most of my pork was consumed in sandwich form.

Hope it goes great, dude, we enjoyed the hell out of our day. Kid was covered in bright red frosting. Looked like a cute little zombie...

Cheers -
    B_B
    This is perfect advice. Exactly what i would have said. Also, if you provide buns, the serving size will nayurally be smaller than just letting them pile it on a plate, Provide some sides and some dogs for the kids and you'll be fine with a large butt
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I go with 2.4 servings per pound of raw weight

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    I've read about 8 oz uncooked PP per adult (little more than Little Steven above) and it has worked for me in the past. If you finish it right before and in the same location as event undoubtedly you will start the salvation glands and coul need a little more ;)
    Seriously, if you have a good mix of big kids (adults) and little ones could be ok with enough other items to try. Most importantly your guests enjoy the event and the little ones - that's what it's all about. Enjoy the journey!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've read about 8 oz uncooked PP per adult (little more than Little Steven above) and it has worked for me in the past. If you finish it right before and in the same location as event undoubtedly you will start the salvation glands and coul need a little more ;)
    Seriously, if you have a good mix of big kids (adults) and little ones could be ok with enough other items to try. Most importantly your guests enjoy the event and the little ones - that's what it's all about. Enjoy the journey!
    1/2lb per person is a standard used by many but I can say that it is rarely the actual consumption rate. You pile up a 1/2 lb of pork, sides, dessert etc, that is a ton of food. I've found that 1/4 per person is plenty unless that is all you are serving (which would be weird unless it was all dudes siting around a campfire or hunt camp- then it would be awesome). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    The party is from 1-4, so some folks will have already eaten. Cooking the butt at the house then gonna cooler it and pull at the pool. I think it will work out, if not they will just have to drink more beer. :D