Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the Egghead family - Oregon style!

Options
mcmac
mcmac Posts: 496
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Good evening everyone,

Well, I finally did it and took the plunge! I'm now up to my neck with a brand new XL and all that goes with learning the ropes. In fact, I'm currently sitting outside at 10:50pm local time making sure I can control the dome temp. So far things are going well, my goal was to maintain a temp at 300 and I have been holding pretty constant at about 295 for the last 40 minutes or so. This thing is going to be a lot of fun!
I currently have a very nice Traeger pellet grill, so I was beyond shocked when I asked my wife if I could get a BGE and she immediately said yes. I couldn't believe it... as you can imagine, I was out the door before she could change her mind. Just got it put together and fired up some lump... working on temp control. 
I've been lurking in the forum for a while now and really appreciate all of the useful information provided by the members. In fact, I plan to break this guy in right with by hosting a wedding rehearsal dinner in a couple of weeks. Between the Traeger and the Egg I will be making 3 briskets and 15 rack of ribs... I can't wait to get started. Barbecue is addicting isn't it!!

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR

Comments

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Nothing like jumping right in mcmac. That woo/adj rig combo should add the rehearsal effort. Best of luck!
  • mcmac
    Options
    Thanks Newville. It will be a couple of busy cooking days but its going to be a lot of fun bringing it all together. Glad to have this forum to use as a reference option.

Hillsboro OR
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Welcome  And congrats on your egg.I too have a Traeger.I like it too but it doesn't do everything an egg does..like searing steaks. It's nice to have both.

Warning there is no 12 step program for the addiction you have signed up for.

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Congrates and welcome to the family
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome to the "cult". You are way beyond club status-enjoy the Kool-Aid:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mcmac
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Happy to join the family / cult!

Just got back from the lumber yard with a bunch of cedar. The Egg table begins. Wish me luck.

Hillsboro OR