Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Need advice for big steaks in shifts...

BlueRidgeBlueRidge Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning!
It's been a long time since I have spent much time on the forum and over the last couple of months I have really enjoyed reading the posts and thinking about all the glorious food out there!  (Just discovered the joy of meatloaf on a grill....will never do a meatloaf in the oven again :-})
I have 9 people coming tonight for a good friends birthday dinner.  He specifically asked my wife if I would consider cooking for the party as our birthday gift for him!  What an honor; it speaks to what the grill can do!
I have 9 NY strips at just shy of 2" thick.  Only this morning did I realize that they won't all fit on the grid at the same time, but I REALLY want to plate and serve together.  I think I can sear in two shifts of 5 then 4 and then finish in the oven at 350 or 400.  
I am also considering searing in the two shifts as above, putting in the second elevated grid and shutting her down and finishing on the egg.  I have yet to see if there is enough room on the two grids for everything...it will be really tight.
I am tempted to try to finish on the egg as it's the only way I have cooked a steak in the last 7 or 8 years but I worry that I won't be able to control the finish of all the meat properly.  On the other hand, finishing in the oven gives me more control but how much yumminess will be lost off of the egg?
How have you superstars dealt with this scenario in your back yards?
As always, glad to have the forum and would love to hear from you!
Jay

Comments