Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Taking Forever!

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Actually, it isn't too bad. I put a 6lb flat on at 11:45 this morning. It is now 7:30. I thought it would be done by now. Guess I was wrong. It stalled at 145 and stayed in the stall for 5 hours! The temp is finally climbing again.

The dome temp is at 250. It smells delicious. I smoked it with apple wood chips. The smell of the gentle Apple smoke is mouth watering.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Keep going ... you'll get there.  Fred always tells us to get the cook done hours ahead of time and wrap it and put it in a cooler just in case the "stall" goes too long.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Actually with the dome at around 250*F+/- your flat is behaving like 90+% of the ones I cook in terms of time.  I see close to 2 hrs/# at that dome temp-You can crank up the BGE temp and or foil (search Texas Crutch) to move it along-but as the old saying goes, "it is done when it is done" and that is likely a few hours down the road with the existing parameters.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Actually with the dome at around 250*F+/- your flat is behaving like 90+% of the ones I cook in terms of time.  I see close to 2 hrs/# at that dome temp-You can crank up the BGE temp and or foil (search Texas Crutch) to move it along-but as the old saying goes, "it is done when it is done" and that is likely a few hours down the road with the existing parameters.
    You can easily bump up the temp to 275-300 dome with no foil. If it's through the stall, it will climb quickly and wont' hurt anything
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • http://www.alcoholian.com/?p=6536

It's ten hours or more. Don't rush it. We're in Austin, TX and 16 hours isn't uncommon.
  • cortguitarman
    Thanks for the advice. This is only my second brisket. My first was tasty, but crazy. It was an 8 pounder and it cooked in 4 hours. My gasket was fried and I didn't calibrate the dome thermometer. I have no used what I temp I cooked that brisket at. I'm anxious to try taste this one.

I didn't think a 6 pounder would take this long. Oh well, you only learn by trying.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    edited July 2012
    Still chugging along. Approaching 15 hours for a 6 lb brisket. Temp is at 166. Is this normal? Cazzy has a 17 pounder on. His will take a week!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    17 hours and she's done.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    Enjoy that meteorite-just be ready to eat when you slice (across the grain) as it will dry out quickly.  Remember flats are a real challenge-if inclined, make some notes from this one so you can build for the next adventure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    We're having brisket breakfast burritos.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    Nice audible-trust it's tasty-and remember, regardless always enjoy the journey.
  • Hey, congratulations cortquitarman!  Beef, it's what's for breakfast!
  • Nice Brisky Cort!

Get that dome up to about 275 next time. That will put you about 250 at the grid and I have found that is the sweet spot for me. There is no benefit to a 3hr per lb brisket. I get mine done in 1-1.5hrs per and they are juicy, tender and loaded with bark.

Now, where do I come to get my breakfast TACO (that's what we call them here...where they were invented and all) :))

• cortguitarman
    Long drive from Texas to PA. She may be a little dry when you get here, but we can sauce it up. I rubbed it with Black Barts brisket rub from Freds. It has some nice heat, but not over the top.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Long drive from Texas to PA. She may be a little dry when you get here, but we can sauce it up. I rubbed it with Black Barts brisket rub from Freds. It has some nice heat, but not over the top.

Looked fantastic. We eat brisket for brekfast here all the time so you are in....(sort of) good company
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Still chugging along. Approaching 15 hours for a 6 lb brisket. Temp is at 166. Is this normal? Cazzy has a 17 pounder on. His will take a week!
    Lmao! Nah it took 20 hours. As Cen noted, 250 grid temp will produce much quicker results.

Your final product looks great none the less!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....