Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork butt weekend.. How much will fit on a large.

RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have four pork butts. Two huge ten pounders and two smaller seven pounders and a small three pound butterball turkey breast. I'm planning on cooking all three with the turkey tossed on later in the cook. Not sure if everything will fit but I have 50 plus people coming over for a pool party tomorrow and have also hired a DJ. We are cooking hamburgers too on the other grill but I hope the pork will feed most everyone. Not sure if it will all fit but I'm worried. Also not sure if I'm going to get up in two hours for a low and slow or wait until I get back from my golf outing for a 350 degree turbo. Wish me luck and here is my start. Of course I'll post progress, party pics and finished results tomorrow. Wish me luck and I'm very thankful all the tips from Cen Tex and others. THANK YOU all.....

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·

Comments

• mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    wish you luck - all will be okay

i have smoked three butts at one time - no problem

have a good weekend - mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • NewvilleNewville Posts: 84
    Bet of luck. Should have no problem with the PP. Have done 3 (on end side by side - but understand ok to stack). Low and slow would have been my suggestion had I read this 5 hours ago ;)
    ·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Your going to have a ton of food leftover!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!
    ·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Looks good, good luck and have fun
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777
    Space will not be a problem if you have another grid-if not, just try and separate the butts with some skewers to help with bark until they shrink up a bit.  Enjoy the journey and enjoy the adult beverages along the way.
    Louisville
    ·
  • whoa! pig feast. SO what did you end up doing? I've seen 3 large butts laid out on a single grid on a large but not 4. I'm sure it's been done. Hell, I've learned that a 17lb brisket fits on a Medium if you rig it right this week so I'm sure it can be done.

·
  • RubmyrockRubmyrock Posts: 266
    I got four stacked... Pics coming
    ·
  • Smart to inject in the cryo BTW. Good idea

·
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like a hell of a party, enjoy.
    ·
  • PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 312
    I would like to know how many/sizes fit on the large.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777

@ Philicious-I would like to know how many/sizes fit on the large.

You may get a few answers here but there have been several posts with cooks putting up some big numbers.  Try the search function and if that doesn't work-try google and make sure Big Green Egg is in the query.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    You can get 5 or 6 with the adjustable rig. I've seen where some guys put three in at the grid level and then throw a smaller grid right on the butts and get two or three more on it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

I got 4 butts on my large BGE. Two ten pounders and two seven pounders on top finished at basically the exact same time... Plus my ladies are happy as they pose with the God of Grills...

·
    Your going to have a ton of food leftover!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!
    We had no food left an hour after the pork butts were pulled but we ended up over 100 people at my home.

·
  • PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 312
    Another question: what about the butts on the top and their dripping onto the butts on the bottom? Any issue with that?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Another question: what about the butts on the top and their dripping onto the butts on the bottom? Any issue with that?
    Won't be any issue at all with the dripping @Philicious, they will eventually reach the drip pan.
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I'll take an invite to your next party!
    ·
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 145
    I'm new to the BGE experience, but old to the Bacardi experience. All I can say is the Bacardi will take care of any of the minor issues you encountered.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
    ·

I'll take an invite to your next party!

Anytime.. I'll wash the dishes and let you take the BGE helm..
    ·
    jfarley said:

I'm new to the BGE experience, but old to the Bacardi experience. All I can say is the Bacardi will take care of any of the minor issues you encountered.

Ahhhhh, Bacardi!!! Here I am three weeks ago touring the mother's hip in San Juan Puerto Rico

<a href="http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f3pWch4M4N4/UAZIv1KaLCI/AAAAAAAAAlE/ogNY4lxCsEA/s1024/IMAGE_B3B52D39-7181-491B-A350-893E9AC28A71.JPG<a href=" 
    ·
    Sorry, here I am..

http://flic.kr/p/czbB5J
    ·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    Glad it all worked out for you man! Looks great.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·