Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Attempt at TREX

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Yes Cen-tex. that has me worried also! Flashback! I have read about them, watched the Whiz's video and I pay to have my eyebrows just so so. Not wanting to experience it at all! [-O<
  • Yes Cen-tex. that has me worried also! Flashback! I have read about them, watched the Whiz's video and I pay to have my eyebrows just so so. Not wanting to experience it at all! [-O<

Just be careful and you'll be fine. if you've seen what the Whiz has to say about it, no worries. It's honestly more scary than dangerous but this is exactly where they can occur. Once you do it, you most likely won't do it again :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Anyone do TREX on two eggs? This would solve the temp dilemma.
  • Anyone do TREX on two eggs? This would solve the temp dilemma.

Perfect solution
  • LizzieSamps
    There you go! Now just to start saving for that 2nd egg!
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok, ready to go, steaks tonight!! Light the grill, and now the steaks are brown! What they say 7/13/12. Back they go to Costco! I will be eating late tonight! ARGH!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've seen a reverse sear "cave man" style - directly on the coals.  Very thick steaks.  Surprisingly little or no ash stuck to the steak.

@LizzieSamps What do you mean the steaks are brown?   Bright red meat is never as good as slightly aged meat which does turn brown.  I wonder if that is what you have?

• LizzieSamps
    I bought it Wednesday late afternoon, then could not cook till tonight, it was brown in a few spots in top and the whole bottom was Brown. I was worried it had started to spoil. Not wanting to ruin my weekend by eating bad meat I rushed out to return. So the brown is ok? Good to know ! I am so new to all of this!
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok back bringing thr egg up to 400 for time sake reverseTrex it is.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Is there a reason no one listened to centex when he said to do the sear done open? When your steak is resting and it's taking forever for the temps to fall, it's because the DOME is hot, not the fire. Dome open, the dome stays cool.

Also, dome open means you are only searing the steak. Dome shut means you are searing from below and roasting from above

The entire point of these types of cooks is to completely separate searing and roasting. Sear to your liking and roast to your temp

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LizzieSamps
    Yup did it dome open and it only took about 20 mins to come back downtime for me to prep some veggies. I don't know if I had the temp or fire hot enough it did not sear like I though I got grill marks but no the black spots like I expected. I am about to start step 2.
  • Next time you go to COSTCO talk to the guys in the meat section. The only time I was disappointed with their meat was I didn't notice a slight tear in the cello wrapper. I frequently age my tenderloin for 4 or 5 days by taking the meat out of the wrap putting it on a rack on a baking sheet. The air circulates around the meat looks brown but it is just microbiotics. Before cooking lightly peel the brown layer off. FYI I keep my fridge at 34 degrees F..
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok it turned out OK, not great! So wondering what I did wrong.

Set up the egg, cleaned it out , new lump on top in pyramid fashion

Had to shut her down to 200 since my meat was bad, ran to store and back took 1 1/2 hrs with traffic.

Cranked it up to 600-700 dome. While Gettin steaks ready.

Then put them on with dome open 90 secs per side. Pulled them off. There were marks but not seared like blacked or anything. Kinda gray , :(

Waited around 20 mins to put them back on at 400. Got smaller one proved and alarm set to 140. 5 mind per side for both and another min for larger. Rest 5 min finished veggies.

Do, did I just Not have it hot enough to do the searing step? I have the Grid it came with ordering the swing rack back ordered booo

Thanks for your help!
  • Did you lower the grid at all? If you are going to sear without cooking, you have to get the grid closer to lump level. I have a small grid I just throw on the lump to keep the ash off.
  • Here are some short ribs I'm searing at lump level. You got to get down low to get a good sear fast

• LizzieSamps
    No I don't have anything smaller yet. One more thing on the list, dang!! I hate to sound like a baby but dropping the steak on the coals did interest me, untill I felt how hot that 700 dome was a screaming temp down inside. Gotta buck up I guess and cinge some arm hair!
  • No I don't have anything smaller yet. One more thing on the list, dang!! I hate to sound like a baby but dropping the steak on the coals did interest me, untill I felt how hot that 700 dome was a screaming temp down inside. Gotta buck up I guess and cinge some arm hair!
    Yeah, that was your issue with the sear. You can throw them right on the coals. It actually ashes very little. Just get some sturdy tongs, and good glove. It's nuclear (or "Nucular" if you are a G.W.Bush fan) down there. Up to 2000 degrees so you gotta move fast.

• Another way to do it that may not be as popular with egg purists is to do the roast in the egg until you get it to internal the temp you like then hard sear it in a cast iron pan on the stove. Nothing sears like cast iron.

That way you get all the flavor from the egg and the safety/convenience/quality of searing in cast iron

This is a reverse sear but works very well.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The brown of aged beef is just oxidation. No need to 'peel' it.
    Buy primals and subs and age those. 45 days is a decent start.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I think tongs and gloves would do the trick LizzieSamps.  Also, I put the steaks on the part of the grid that has the most fire licking it and I use the cast iron grid- maybe that makes better black marks.  I used the grid at regular level- not lower.

Isn't learning fun???
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Did you rest the meat to room temp before grilling, and did you wrap the steaks in foil during the resting stage?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • LizzieSamps
    Room temp almost, wrap during the 20 min rest umm no. I was pretty disappointed on the sear and just wanted to eat it was already 9:30 I was following the Trex but must have missed to foil and the lower grid thing. Is that what you all mean when you say I was cooking down on the spider?
  • Room temp almost, wrap during the 20 min rest umm no. I was pretty disappointed on the sear and just wanted to eat it was already 9:30 I was following the Trex but must have missed to foil and the lower grid thing. Is that what you all mean when you say I was cooking down on the spider?
    Yeah, a spider is an accessory that holds a smaller grid down lower in the egg for searing. it does other stuff too but this is the purpose of it in a sear.

• LizzieSamps
    I know why I messed up, no libations!! That's it, no more sober cooks!!
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Bourbon!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • I know why I messed up, no libations!! That's it, no more sober cooks!!
    I didn't even think of that. that is where your problem was.

I can't even get my egg to light without a coldie in hand.

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Lizzie, I had the same issue with my two prime fillets last night. I realized afterwards that I should have taken the upper fire ring off. That would have placed my grate onto the firebox, thus bringing the steaks closer to the coals. That's what's needed for those nice sear marks.

Well, that, or a cast iron grid lol.
  • LizzieSamps
    Yup I am wanting CI as well
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Yeah I think you found the 2 key ingredients.

Here are my grill marks on my first steak with the CI grid. I didn't lower the grid or anything

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And the other key

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos