Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket

Options
bjadams
bjadams Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in Beef
I was at the Clearwater, Fl. Costco this week and right next to those brisket flats I always see were what looked like the real deal. Fat cap still on, wrapped in plastic and largely untrimmed these big boys were gong for around $32 each. Didn't check the price per pound as I'm not ready for one right now but it is nice to know that my Costco is carrying them.

Comments

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Options
    I saw similar at Sam's for about $2.89\pound
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The Costco's I frequent typically put out trimmed flats in the saran wrapped foam tray, but if you ask them for cryopak'd untrimmed brisket, they generally have them that way in the back and will bring out a few to choose from.  For some reason, the Sams Clubs around here are the opposite and I've only seem them put out briskets (flats and whole packers) in the cryopak.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    I always ask the butchers for cryo packed briskets at Costco, but they're usually only 6-7 pounds.  Last week they had 12 pound packs! Never found that size before at Costco here in the Northeast - maybe I'm going to the wrong Costcos - I hope it's their new standard size.
    Mamaroneck
  • K22
    K22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw similar at Sam's for about $2.89\pound

I suspect the Sam's briskets are USDA Select and the Costco meat is USDA Choice.

Usually worth the $$.

Best,

Gary

• mindfulwanderer
    Options
    The briskits at the Mall of Georgia COSTCO were labeled choice yesterday (7/12/2012). I want to try one is injecting brooth etc a necessity?

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    Costco brisket was choice and about $5.50/lb :-( But the marbling and fat cap were excellent. 

First large brisket I've done on my Egg and it came out superb - I've done tons of smaller briskets, but with inconsistent results.  I guess the larger cuts are much more forgiving.  Now I know what I've been missing when I read about great results from forum members south of Battery Park City!  I hope Costco continues to stock these in their northern stores.  They finally stopped chopping up their pork shoulders last year and now put out the the boned shoulder twin packs.

I don't do any injections -just rub with Montreal Steak (a great shortcut if you're too lazy to make a rub, which I am.)  275-300 dome temp until the meat hit about 200. I think it was about 14 hours, but only because I let the temp drop while I was sleeping. (again, too lazy to wake up and check temps - it's easy enough to kick it up n the morning)
    Mamaroneck