Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid Pizza Question

Options
Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

OK, I have been using corn meal on my pizza stone for pizza cooks.  Corn meal always end up burning and leaving a bad taste.  When using parchment paper, do you roll out your dough on the parchment paper with no flour in between dough and parchment?

Thanks as always! 

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Options
    My wife uses flour as she's rolling dough on parchment but nothing in addition to that.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It is up to you, I usually do not add flour between the parchment and the dough. But I did in the past. It is really a question of preference...

Options

I think you probably need to use a little flour if you're going to roll it, but I use parchment and stretch the dough by hand - sort of lift and stretch - and don't use it.

An alternative to cornmeal is semolina flour - which is a coarser, grainy flour, but much finer than cornmeal. If you can find it.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

An alternative to cornmeal is semolina flour - which is a coarser, grainy flour, but much finer than cornmeal. If you can find it.

You can find it in asian/indian grocery stores.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• BBQBeerman
    BBQBeerman Posts: 62
    Options
    I use parchment paper with no extra flour but I cut the parchment paper in half and overlap it so I can pull it out from each side.
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you use a rolling pin, you're also squeezing out all those lovely little bubbles that make the crust light....
    Options
    It isn't necessary. I put a little down if my dough is in the wet side.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I use corn meal on my pizza peel, but there is no use to put it on the pizza stone itself, at least that is my opinion.  We just had a great bacon and pepperoni pizza about 30 minutes ago.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    +1 with Nolaegghead
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs